Single Rectifier vs. Rect O Verb vs. Dual / Triple

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlazingMagnum

Reaction score
Hi all - and it's good to be on the Mesa forum.

I'm looking at buying a new Mesa, - but I don't wanna go the Marshall route, because it's too easy, and the products are too commercial.

I want something classy, and that is still going to be just as classy in another 10 years time.

I need to use it at low volumes for recording, and general home playing, but I'm also going to need a live set-up, so I'm after a head / cab.

Also not just looking for an all-out metal drive, because I need the versitility for richer blues & cleans - however I play a lot of high gain stuff, and reviews of the Lone Star suggest there isn't enough gain there for this purpose. Money isn't an issue.

Right away, I checked out the 3xRect, but that might be a step in the wrong direction, because I'm not going to need 100 w + particularly. Same with the 2xRect.

The Mesa website says that the single rect comes also as a Rect-O-Verb, but what's the difference between the two? The ROV review says that it's awesome at lower volumes, and great for cleans/blues/metal.

Any ideas . . . .

I can't speak for the Rectoverb, but I have a 3 channel Dual Recto and I regularly use it at low-moderate volumes and it is great for that. Good thing is, when I need to pump it up, it's there for me.

And contrary to the popular belief of non-Mesa types, the Dual is an extremely versatile amp. All it takes is a little time noodling around with the controls to find what you're looking for.

I have a Rectoverb combo...... and I used to have a Triple recto and I would often swap amps from gig to gig with and they sounded close enough alike that I could swap. I now do that with my Tremoverb/Rectoverb and they sound extremely close in sound.

As far as bedroom practice and low volume practicing......I could get a nice tone out of all three of the amps but I just have to be careful if the family is a sleep and i bumped the volume too much :shock: . The Rectoverb does sound just a bit fuller at lower volumes, but in my opinion it also sounds thinner when cranked with the open back design (which you won't have to worry about getting the head).

All my (past and present) Rectifiers are very versatile and sound good playing any music and shine while doing so. I play in a 80s, 90s and modern rock/pop-rock band (Bon Jovi, Puddle of Mudd, Creed, Poison, Brian Adams, ect...) and also do some new country from time to time.... and I also sometimes help my lead singer when he goes to Nashville to persue his country music dream and my Rectoverb goes with me.

Just my $.02 worth

BlazingMagnum said:
The Mesa website says that the single rect comes also as a Rect-O-Verb, but what's the difference between the two? .

Any ideas . . . .

The rectoverb has reverb, thats it.

Most Rectos can actually get a descent sound at lower volumes, even the bigger guys, because most of their juice is comming from the pre, which means you dont need to cook the power tubes as much to get the magic flowing. I personaly think they still do sound better with a little bit of powertube clipping.

The single rectos (including rectoverb) have a slightly purer sound and are a little brighter than their bigger brothers. Though the original 2ch dual and tri recto are pretty sweet too.

You sound like you would be better of with a Fseries combo btw

Cool - any & all information is totally welcome, so many thanks folks.

So the Rect-O-Verb basically a single rectifier with a spring 'verb. Lots more weight there too, which isn't such a problem - usually. They get nice reviews though.

I'm thinking that the Single might just be the way to go (as you say, for slightly purer tones - that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking to find out) & I'm never gonna need 3 chan's (and boosts) at home, or in a studio - and rarely use more than a clean / rhythm / boost live anyway. If it gets to the stage where I need more than that - I can get another Single recto stack & run splitters - that'd be a pretty evil set-up!

F combo! Hmmm, I'll check them out right now!

Definately check out the F-series...... I Love the rectifier series and someone mentioned to me about the F-series so I tried one out on an over night loaner and I didn't like the distortion on it. It could get pretty agressive, but not a rectifier... But the cleans were just as good, and some say they are better (but thats just opinion, just like I'm giving).

Dont be offended (F-series owners), but the F-series reminded me of a little better Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

Yep - I didn't really want to go down the combo route again.
I like Marshall 2/4 x 12s, so the combo thing might be a bt limiting. Would probably sound awesome for recording purposes though.

Tele, although I somewhat agree, I think the F-series is far more flexible than the Fender. You can get very nice distortion form the F-50 and a great distortion from the F-30....BUT....the tone is definitely different than a rectifier and if that's what you like the F Amps will not fill the bill.
PS - I am considering an F series only for ease of transportation and use at our church (we play hymns up to about a southern rock type sound) . For gigging it be a rectifier all the way.

tele_jas said:
Dont be offended (F-series owners), but the F-series reminded me of a little better Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

I am considering an F series only for ease of transportation and use at our church (we play hymns up to about a southern rock type sound) . For gigging it be a rectifier all the way.

That makes sence, the Rectifier series (head and cab set up) is kind of hard to carry around and the combos weigh as much as my car. For my hard load-in gigs and small stages, I use my Fender Deluxe and a Vox Tonelab SE due to the ease of transportation (I also used the Fender at my Chruch in the past), so I know exactly what you're talking about. I wish I could use my Rectifier at all gigs, but sometimes you have to use whats practical.

So, at least you're keeping it all Boogie...... I'm cheating some what. :?

How's the tonelab thru the Fender working out...that was another consideration for me. I've heard good things about using the Tonelab with the Hot Rod Deluxe.

tele_jas said:
I am considering an F series only for ease of transportation and use at our church (we play hymns up to about a southern rock type sound) . For gigging it be a rectifier all the way.

That makes sence, the Rectifier series (head and cab set up) is kind of hard to carry around and the combos weigh as much as my car. For my hard load-in gigs and small stages, I use my Fender Deluxe and a Vox Tonelab SE due to the ease of transportation (I also used the Fender at my Chruch in the past), so I know exactly what you're talking about. I wish I could use my Rectifier at all gigs, but sometimes you have to use whats practical.

So, at least you're keeping it all Boogie...... I'm cheating some what. :?

That Tonelab is the BEST modeler/FX unit I've every used! I've played a couple gigs with it by itself directly to the board and it sounded pretty good (but just didn't feel right without an amp behind me - but sounded good). When I run it through the Deluxe, it warms it up just a bit and I really enjoy playing it that way...... and the Recto patch sounds amazingly alot like a real Boogie.

I do have several banks set up on the unit, some for direct to the board and some for direct in to my Deluxe and some for different guitars, but its a great little unit and super easy to program. I've previoulsly had several Line 6 products (Vetta, HD147, Spider, Podxt Live, Podxt) and the Tonelab sounds better than all the Line 6 stuff (and more like a real amp than the Pod's).

Maybe I should join a church, and all my tonal prayers would be answered!!

"Notice I said in the past"... Something about playing Metallica, Puddle of Mudd, Pantera and Kid Rock on Saturday night and then having to wake up early on Sunday (11am) to go play at chruch..It didn't feel right.. I enjoyed playing at church, and I learned a few cool things (like how to read a little bit of music)... But for the most part I don't do it any more. But theres nothing wrong with it either and if asked to fill in for someone that couldn't make it, I'd do it in a heart beat but wouldn't sign up to be a regular, at least not now. Plus, I'm that weird religion (Catholic), and our music is VERY laid back.... I'd be like Michael J. Fox in "back to the future" where he is running around kicking over amps, sliding across the podium and stuff (or at least that's how out of place I'd feel).

Not sure if this will get any responses. But recently I played a rectoverb through a Marshall 1960 lead cab. It sounded remarkably different than the single rectifier I had earlier this year. Single rectifier was very bright and brash and honestly didn't sound very good. But the rectoverb sounds almost like my rack mount Rev G rectifier I had. Is it the 900 Marshall cab because the other marshall cab I was using had v30s the super bright ones. I did try it though a different marshall cab and it was just as bright.

BrentSSL said:
Not sure if this will get any responses. But recently I played a rectoverb through a Marshall 1960 lead cab. It sounded remarkably different than the single rectifier I had earlier this year. Single rectifier was very bright and brash and honestly didn't sound very good. But the rectoverb sounds almost like my rack mount Rev G rectifier I had. Is it the 900 Marshall cab because the other marshall cab I was using had v30s the super bright ones. I did try it though a different marshall cab and it was just as bright.

My single is pretty bright, but it's manageable. The speaker cab will make a huge difference, though.

Pal, I've been playing 45 years and have used Peaveys Marshall JCMs, and settled we with a Mesa Rectoverb 50 watt combo with a 2x12 rectifier extension closed back cab and I tell you I dont need anything else in a club setting. Headroom for cleans and breakup blues plus the option of a high gain with a good OD in front. I feel the single rectos are perfect for all genres. The cleans can be incredibly natural and tube soaked with all the warmth you could ask for. Strong bottom end and sparkly thighs are perfect. Yeah, combos aren't as cool, but the combo of an open back combo wi thg h a closed back ext are KILLER...

Latest posts

Back