Doug's tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
prs1999 said:
Kung, I dont know how he's shipping to you,but with me,he has only used the U.S. postal system..never a problem,and it's cheaper that UPS,FedEx,,etc.
Like I have said, Doug is a straight shooter!

He ships USPS Priority and I'm only 2 states away so that's part of the reason why they get here so fast.

Got the new tubes from Doug on thursday as posted above...Installed them a few hours ago, and ive been glue'd to the amp.

FYI Doug recommended;
SED winged =C= 6L6GC's
Tung-Sol reissue in V1,
JJ ECC83S high gain in V2
9th gen Shuguang 12AX7C's V3-V5

Deeeam. What a difference. The gain is smoother, Its hard to explain, the recto sag is still there but the tone is just more detailed, the midrange is %100 better. I was having alot of success dialing out the rashness but this is just a new sound. Ive had to turn the gain down alot its very punchy, and the bass is is tighter but still boomy (probably the std cab.)

The cleans are a bit rounder, not a massive difference here but some added shape and highs, I will try dailing in some different stuff on channel 1 tommorow.
overall...
nice
nice
nice!

All the things you like about the recto, just improved.

Glad to hear Doug hooked you up good wih the 3Channel D.R.
He told me that magical combination for the preamp section over the summer.....works **** good for that amp.

I know its tough to get a tighter bass responce out of an oversized Recto cab.
Try a few different ones out.

VHT 4x12 fatbottom
Bogner UberKab.....
I even heard nice tone(lousy MFD construction though) from a Marshall cab loaded with 75's.
Avatar is making a killer "vintage" 4x12 (the new one),at an affordable price.
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/vintage%20g412.htm

prs1999 said:
Glad to hear Doug hooked you up good wih the 3Channel D.R.
He told me that magical combination for the preamp section over the summer.....works **** good for that amp.

I know its tough to get a tighter bass responce out of an oversized Recto cab.
Try a few different ones out.

VHT 4x12 fatbottom
Bogner UberKab.....
I even heard nice tone(lousy MFD construction though) from a Marshall cab loaded with 75's.
Avatar is making a killer "vintage" 4x12 (the new one),at an affordable price.
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/vintage%20g412.htm

Ive been thinking about the RK cab with the c-90's, or Even an orange cab (marshall built properly). I was thinking about a marshall cab just based on cost, i can get it cheap here at the moment, brand new for $700, the Mesa runs us about $1100 and the Orange was $1380 (cdn prices). I dont mind the oversized boom, im very capable of using it and controlling it. Its the fizz and flub that Im after killing, and Dougs tube set up covered so much ground here.

For the record its a triple rec, lots and lots of glass. :twisted: I am gonna turn the loop on next and crank the master really push that power section up. Im getting curious about a Seymour jb in the bridge as well, its supposed to magic for balancing the gibsons naturally high mids.

I am that impressed with the sound improvement, ive just freshened up the strings on my custom lp as well, so the sound i am getting is that much better. Im in drop-d with quality cables and this set up is deep, Doug said the detail would be excellent and its. Now i have to wait to jam to really feel the magic

JamesD said:
one more thing i forgot to ask, what did he recomend for rectifier tubes?

He didnt, when I asked him about the GZ34 he said flip it to diodes, its similar and tightens the sound in a similar way, the mesa stock tubes should be good enough.

And they are, I couldnt imagine getting much closer to the sound in my head, its all experimentation from here on. I cant wait to crank this demon.

awesome. I was just wondering i have my stock and i have some GZ34's so once i make an order on those tubes i will jus have to give it all a shot and see what i like most! Thanks

David.W said:
prs1999 said:
Timbre Wolf said:
That's another guy!
:lol:

Thats too funny, I meant Doug, never spoke with Bob in my life...

freudian slip from another thread...

Freudian slip...you mean to imply you're in love with Bob? Why not send him some Tung-sols as a valentines gift? :lol:

Now now, lets not analyze the mistake, twas but a mere slip up, nought more!

David.W said:
FYI Doug recommended;
SED winged =C= 6L6GC's
Tung-Sol reissue in V1,
9th gen Shuguang 12AX7C's the rest of the way

...Would this be the set up for a Roadster as well?

Triple rec;
6x6L6, 5x12AX7, 3x5U4

Roadster;
4x6L6, 6x12AX7, 2x5U4

Both can run EL34's

...Would this be the set up for a Roadster as well?
I'd say sure if you want that dark detailed tone, looks like you'd need an extra preamp tube though. I dont own a Roadster so I cant say if its the best option or not, but it looks like it would work to me.

I hear the Roadster gang really like the EL34's at the moment.

I believe the extra preamp tube is for the reverb socket...Maybe I could put a 12AT7 in there?...So this set up makes a dark sounding amp darker?...I didn't read that in the other posts...Yeah, I'm seeing that too...I like EL34's, but I prefer 6L6's, I don't want to damage my clean tone too much, ya know?...Thanx for the input man.

I dont think its much darker, its just more crunch and less buzz, and smoother too. Overall improvment to the current sound you could say, but keeping the personality.

FYI Doug recommended;
SED winged =C= 6L6GC's
Tung-Sol reissue in V1,
9th gen Shuguang 12AX7C's the rest of the way

Does anyone know where Mesa gets their Chinese 12AX7's. They may be Shuguang 9th generation. That could save you $30 or so.

Dom

Back