The Mark IV thread....!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed that on some MKIVs, there are circular cut-outs on the top where the mounting screws usually are. My combo doesn't have these, just the normal screws and washers.

What are these holes for? They look like holes that would fit the rubber feet on the bottom of another amp.

in the day's when the combo was all mesa had.some people would stack 2 up,2 across to make a quad..the hole's made sure the amp''s held in place.so yes rubber feet holder's

I should be getting a used empty Thiele cab next week sometime. I'm going to put the EV in it, which should sound pretty **** good. Now, what speaker to put in the combo for a warmer sound?

The EV is pretty clean and uncolored, which I'm not used to, so I'd like to balance out the sound a little. I was thinking of a Neodymium to save on weight, but I don't want to possibly compromise tone. I also don't want one speaker to over power the other, so I'm trying to keep the db rating the same. Except for the Celestion Vintage, the Neos are pretty high in efficiency.

Any suggestions for a little coloring of the sound in the British tradition? I was thinking maybe a V30, or C90, or even a T75. I'd like something with good, tight bass and smooth highs. Not much experience with Eminence, though. I hear their neo Tonker sounds great. Anyone? Thanks.

UsrName said:
I should be getting a used empty Thiele cab next week sometime. I'm going to put the EV in it, which should sound pretty **** good. Now, what speaker to put in the combo for a warmer sound?

The EV is pretty clean and uncolored, which I'm not used to, so I'd like to balance out the sound a little. I was thinking of a Neodymium to save on weight, but I don't want to possibly compromise tone. I also don't want one speaker to over power the other, so I'm trying to keep the db rating the same. Except for the Celestion Vintage, the Neos are pretty high in efficiency.

Any suggestions for a little coloring of the sound in the British tradition? I was thinking maybe a V30, or C90, or even a T75. I'd like something with good, tight bass and smooth highs. Not much experience with Eminence, though. I hear their neo Tonker sounds great. Anyone? Thanks.

Hey man! I finally signed up over here. I should've done this a while ago after all the Mesas I've owned. The V30s sounds pretty good to me, but I think a few C90s might find their way into my 4x12. I also would like to try some Greenbacks or maybe G12-65s. I tried mixing two V30s and two CL80s, and it just didn't seem to cut it for me. Looks like I'll have to try something else.

UsrName said:
I've noticed that on some MKIVs, there are circular cut-outs on the top where the mounting screws usually are. My combo doesn't have these, just the normal screws and washers.

What are these holes for? They look like holes that would fit the rubber feet on the bottom of another amp.

I think you're reffering to the sus-4 system. This system provided a cushion for the electronic's chasis. In fact, the amp chasis was held to the wooden cabinet by a suspension system (sus-4) that consisted in a rubber insert held by two screws attached underneath the cabinet's top. That rubber insert has a metallic eyelet where the attaching hardware (screw & washer) is fixed. Clever design!. My MkIV and MkIIb have them. I beleve that the rotuing for a sus-4 is slightly different than a regular chasis. My 2 cents.

Well, I got the Thiele cab in yesterday. I quickly swapped out the EV from the combo and put it into the cab. All I can say is WOW! It's hard to believe how much bass response comes out of this little box. At first, I thought "no way is this little thing gonna sound as huge as I've heard". Wrong! It's sounds just as good as my closed back 212 cab. In fact, my kid, who was upstairs, thought I was playing through my 212!

The EV sounds so much better in the Thiele than in the combo. The highs aren't as piercing as before, and the sound is much smoother now. Needless to say, I'm going to sell the 212 cab to fund a new speaker for the combo. Yeah, it's that good!

I stacked the combo on top and it makes a cool little stack. I'll snap some pics when I get a chance.

Does anyone know if I can run the 8 ohm cab with a 16 ohm speaker in the combo? I have a G12T-75 lying around that I want to throw in until I get a replacement.

Which speaker outs would I use? What would the sound difference be by hooking up a 16 ohm? Are there any adverse affects to my amp by doing this? Thanks.

While talking to Mesa, I was told that I could run my 16ohm 4x12 Marshall 1960ax cabinet loaded with Greenbacks in the 8ohm jack provided that I keep things reasonable volumewise. Apparently the tranny can take it so long as you aren't pushing things and the speakers won't go into meltdown provided you keep control of your volume. On the other hand, I like the sound of it in the 8ohm tap with my Thiele in the 4ohm jack. I hope that helps. In your case, you could use that 16ohm speaker into the 8ohm jack and keep your EV in the 4ohm jack.

Mismatching for less ohms than the speaker actually is makes for a slightly different sound coming from your speaker. It is not something that I would suggest doing for extended periods of time with any significant volume. I have yet to try the G12T-75 solo yet in the combo. I have a 1960a cab loaded with them but haven't experimented with them by themselves nor in an openback cabinet. Good Luck...

+1 on the sound of the EV in the Thiele

Soulcrusher_x- Greenbacks and 65's sound good with the Mark IV provided you are not looking for Death Metal. I have found some really smooth tones coming from the Mark IV creating buttery leads with those two speaker choices.

Thanks Russ. I threw the T75 in, but I didn't care for the sound. I'm probably going to go with an MC90 or a V30. Definitely something with less highs.

It seems everytime I turn the master up, the highs are really pronounced. I don't know if it's the amp or the speaker or what. I've tried turning down the presence, treble and the hi-freq eq sliders, but no luck. So I need to balance it out a little, while adding a bit of the old Celestion coloration.

UsrName said:
Thanks Russ. I threw the T75 in, but I didn't care for the sound. I'm probably going to go with an MC90 or a V30. Definitely something with less highs.

It seems everytime I turn the master up, the highs are really pronounced. I don't know if it's the amp or the speaker or what. I've tried turning down the presence, treble and the hi-freq eq sliders, but no luck. So I need to balance it out a little, while adding a bit of the old Celestion coloration.[/quot

After all the your clammering i've got to have a Mark IV . I played through a Mark IIB for 21 years and then went to rectoverb and finally a Road King and Stiletto . I guess Ive gone full circel as im headed back to the Mark series .

Barry said:
After all the your clammering i've got to have a Mark IV . I played through a Mark IIB for 21 years and then went to rectoverb and finally a Road King and Stiletto . I guess Ive gone full circel as im headed back to the Mark series .

I actually played the Stiletto, F-50, and Roadster 1x12 the other day. I really, really like the tone of the F-50(I even had the F-30 for awhile). I thought for a brief moment about selling the Mark IV and picking up the F-50 combo.

But after playing the Mark for 2 hours straight just now, I came to my senses and forgot all about the F-50! There are so many tones hiding in there is ridiculous! The grass is always greener, ya know.

Let us know when you re-join the Mark brotherhood.

i'll tell you my story guys, i have a mark IV for over a year now and i've thought of selling it for a while, but before it, i tried the DR for almost a month and i dont like it at all with all the fizz and muddiness so i tried the triaxis, its still not good enough for me, to cut the story short, i was really really glad that i didnt sell my mark IV. nothing beats my MArk IV baby!!

Anyone use a pedal to get a "Recto" sound? Although, I'm lovin' my MKIV, I also like the voicing of the rectifiers. I really like the tone Adam Jones of Tool gets and also A Perfect Circle. Not the highest gain, but the voicing is there.

I'm thinking maybe a V-twin? A lot of people complain that there isn't enough gain, but that's ok with me, I just want the Recto voicing. Does this pedal have it? Any others to consider?

And before anyone says: "Just buy a DR", I don't have the cash for another amp, nor would I want to lug 2 amps around anyway. So, I'm just looking for a pedal such as the V-twin that will give me that sound. Thanks fellow boogiers!

hey guys!

i'm glad i found this forum, it has such a brilliant wealth of knowledge and experiences,

i'm currently saving for a new amp for rehearsing, and giging (anything from parties, to 100-200 venues, to church on sundays,

and up until yesterday i was thinking about either the lonestar 2x12 or a roadster 2x12, but now my friends i'm starting to like the idea of a mark iv as a head with a thd 2x12 cab,

i've heard some wonderful solo's from the mark iv, but not alot of rhythem or clean strumming work,

i play anything from foo fighters, to smashing pumpkins, dream theater, satch, classical finger picking, the darkness and the odd rolling stones,

my main question is will the mark iv fit my needs for those styles, i very much like the idea of finding a great clean, and rhythem setting and rolling of the guitar volume according to the type of song,
and also having a smaller head i could get a 1x12, 2x12 or dare i say it 4x12 for out door gigs!

do you mean it shep??

really???

my search for a great amp, may indeed be over

p.s: what colour does the medium head ship in? :wink:

Shep said:
yes it will...with a 2x12 recto cab that would be killer..

Exactly the config' i have, MarkIV Short Head and a 2x12 Recto, absolutly stunning !

how is it transport wise,

pervously i've used either house equipment or a marshall combo,
just an extra trip from the van to the venue?

this would be my first head/cab, hmm what to do, what to do

well if you get the short head it takes up no room at all really..and the 2x12 is very manageable..dude a recto 2x12 would be so good under a mk iv...and if you start feeling you need you could just get another 2x12 and then you have a qaud box..

it's either a recto 2x12 or a thd 2x12,

www.thdelectronics.com/pdf/212cab.pdf

^that's the other cabinet sounds huge, and very classy haha
or like you said both 8)

i'm very excited every clip i hear of the mark iv increases my desire,
now if i could only find a store in aus to play one :wink:

Latest posts

Back