Lonestar Classic 100 Watt head and 6V6

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisl59

Reaction score
Today I went from a quad set of 6L6's to a quad set of 6V6's. As per Mesa recommendation: Tweed setting/100 watt switch on(both channels)/4 ohm speaker output/rectifier tracking on. Should be about 40 watts...into a matching Lonestar 2x12 cabinet.

A BIG difference in overall tone and volume. Much better to my ears. The entire tone stack(both channels) seems more responsive too...Though I always liked the idea of going full 100 watt 'big iron', I was never able to get the right sound for me, even going to the 50 or 10 watt settings. Electro-Harmonix brand from Viva Tubes off Reverb. Not using any boost/gain or distortion pedals either: Strat direct into the amp. New life in the Lonestar Classic.

I have a brand new set of JJ 6V6s set aside and have yet to try them out in my LSC. Think I might have to install them, hook up to the 4x10, and see what happens. What was most noticeable tone change?

Thanks for asking. To my ears, there's a softer tone at the exact same settings I was using with the quad 6L6's...in other words, I didn't change any front panel controls I had set, just swapped the tubes, and turned the amp on, played some chords and single note riffs. There's none of the huge wattage overhead(not a bad thing in some instances of course, right?)...but now it's more in the power range I like. 2x6L6, 2xEL34 or 4xEL84; those are all in the same ballpark power wise. But for me, this quad set of 6V6 has made the difference. Face it, the Lonestar head is a fantastic head where you can swap these combinations(flip the bias switch if necessary) and that's it...Enjoy~!

Do you gig with a band much? Interested as to how much drop in available volume we’re talking. Also, with the 4x 6V6s installed, can you use the 50w setting to use two power tubes or is that not recommended? I imagine you might want to put some marking near the power switch so you don’t accidentally turn it on the wrong way :)

Thanks for asking.

Mesa recommends the 100 watt setting for both channels to use all four(4) power tubes. Also use the 'Tweed' setting as recommended, I've got the 'silicon diode' setting ON (not the rectifier tracking) and 4 ohm speaker output. Running this head through the matching 2x12 Lonestar cabinet...no volume issues at all; still good and loud in any setting.

Back