Quiet Channel switching Mod for 3-Ch rectos

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TubesNStuff

Reaction score
TLDR; would you buy a PCB that you install in your 3-CH recto to get rid of pops when channel switching? It'd cost 25-30 bucks.

I recently bought a early 2000's 3-ch triple rectifier and found it makes a loud pop when i change channels. Looking through online forums like this one, apparently the amp was just designed that way. I wasn't happy with this, so i created a circuit that does a much better job muting the output while the relays change. I was able to build one with poto-board, but it wouldn't be too much work to make a PCB and sell them if people are interested.

To install the mod you would need to:
- Solder 10 wires from the mod PCB to various locations on the main board
- cut one lead to a BJT
- Figure out where to mount the PCB in the chassis. Probably just hot glue some standoffs to the main board.

It would work with all 3-ch dual and triple rectos from the 2000's, probably some road kings, and maybe the single rectifier as well. Newer amps like Mark V wouldn't be helped by this.

So what do you think guys? Is this something you're into, or has the world moved on from this amp?

Cool idea, I've never had an issue with the channel switching on my early 3ch dual, but I know I've heard from a lot of people who complain about it.

One guy on reddit told me he'd buy one, so i'm making it. PCB is due in on the 29th, and i'll post a video of it in action shortly after that. I'll probably sell them through reverb.

Mesa has several amps that let you change the power amp configuration while channel switching. They have relays that open and close to add/remove tubes from the output xfmr. Mark V and road king are like this. This first version won't address this directly, but i see how it could be fixed. If i make my money back, i'll do a REV 2 version that should fix channel popping for any tube amp.

I got a pretty sweet deal on a somewhat broken road king so i'll be able to try the mod on a road king as well.

My Roadster is bad for popping. My Stiletto is silent. I do leave the reverb switched on all the time and cycle through the channels while on standby and that helps a lot.

I think your market will be extremely small. The only time my Roadster pops is if I’m playing at low volumes. At stage volume you never hear the pop.

Most bedroom warriors will not have the skill or experience to add this into the amp anyway.

Good luck, you’ve got a good idea, I’m sure there would be a few interested, but probably not enough to make it worth your while.

You actually did an awesome job! It's so cool to see skilled people modify gear to upgrade it properly :) I'll just wait some more infos on how modify my single rectifier series 2 (i am the man that put a comment on the youtube vid ;) )

Latest posts

Back