Solo 50 blew

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norseman

Reaction score
So I haven’t powered my Solo 50 Single Rectifier up in about 4 years. I decided to fire it up and jam a little. From past experience I know you have to let the tubes warm up so I waited like 5 minutes and I flipped the Standby switch and I could hear it really low. So I turned the volume up a little and I could hear it a little better but still sounding like I have a problem.

I flipped it back to Standby off, waited a few more minutes, came back and flipped the Standby on again and saw a flash like inside the amp and boom ...it’s completely dead.

Think I just need a tube job? Worst case scenario?

Is it even worth throwing money at? (I don’t know how to do this stuff myself.)

So the 2 power tubes installed are EL34. I was thinking of buying 6L6’s. (There’s a switch on the back to toggle between the 2.). There’s like 5 smaller tubes in there. Would they have to be swapped out, too, or just the power tubes?

To my ears, the Recto's sound better with 6L6's, but to each their own as tone is VERY subjective. So, it's a matter of preference for you. Those smaller tubes are preamp tubes. I'd replace the power tubes first then go from there.

Yeah I agree with the 6L6s and personal preference.

Ok let me order a set of tubes and start watching YouRube videos to see what I have to do lol

Thanks for the help!

Ok so power tubes haven’t arrived yet but I found a little 2.5A fuse that was blown. I ran to the local hardware store and bought a replacement. Put it in, turned the amp back on and waited like 15 minutes before attempting to play. It sounded loud - but sounded like crap. Then I start tinkering with the knobs and once again see a flash and power is completely gone again.

You most likely have a bad power tube and shouldn't turn the amp on again till they are both replaced. It will keep blowing fuses till it's fixed. You only need to warm the tubes up for a minute or so, any more isn't doing anything to help.

I should have them tonight.

Is there anything special about putting these tubes in?

I remember years ago everyone would always say “don’t try and do it yourself because you need an (attenttiator?) ...something like that.

Nothing special at all. Just ease the old ones out and ease the new ones in. They can only go in one way due to the notch on the base of the tube. Pretty straight forward. Good luck and let us know how you make out. Oh, and make sure you have the same fuse that the amp requires.

Fuse and tube installs were a success!!! I’ve been playing all night! I should’ve been in bed hours ago and honestly I don’t want to put it down but I really need to get some sleep before tomorrow (later on today)!!

Man I can’t thank you guys enough for the great tips 🤘🏻😎

I am sad to say I do now remember why I stopped playing this amp. Is KILLER for metal and I can slide off the volume and do classic rock and stuff. BUT ...at volume there is just no way to get a good clean tone from it. Maybe it’s my guitars. I have “hot” pickups on everything. EMGs, Seymour Duncans, Gibson 490/500

I’m going to enjoy playing it again now though. I’m not gigging so I’m just tooling around in my house ...if I start playing out again (and I plan to in 2020) I’ll look for something that can do both. I’m going to be active on this forum again while I figure it out (hopefully I won’t lose touch again).

That amp is probably overdue for a cap job. Get the filter caps replaced if they're much over 15 years old. They probably are.

woodbutcher65 said:
That amp is probably overdue for a cap job. Get the filter caps replaced if they're much over 15 years old. They probably are.

That's really good advice.

Back