Is anyone playing blues with a Mk IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowpoke

Reaction score
Hi all. New member from Australia, so G'day!

Is anyone playing blues with a MkIV?

I have a Mk IV head and Recto 4x12 cab that I've used reliably for years as a pub-rock rig, but after moving interstate and taking a break, I'm starting to play more bluesy low gain music and I'm struggling to get a suitable sound. There's no clarity; it just sounds too muffled and woolly for blues. Do I need to change the cab? or change tubes? or can I just dial it in?

Please help!

As much as I enjoy blues, I’m not the best player at it. But expect it’s a matter of tweaking.

And tbh, any of the channels could probably achieve a good blues sound but quicker best would be ch1 high vol1, reduce T, Presence and master. Or ch2 low vol 1 and whichever mix of TMB works best. This gets that muffle wooly tone with vol 1 and B above 4-5ish but as I’m sure you’re aware all of the controls are interactive.

Found this clip on YT that sounds like a pretty good blues tone. I can’t see his settings in the smaller picture on my phone but they are there. Sounds like a guitar with single coils which always helps with the jangly, put of phase tone associated with blues.

https://youtu.be/JxmS95UTQA0

Thanks Thaymz. I'll have a play with that advice in mind. I think perhaps the 4x12 isn't helping me either. Thanks for the reply.

The lead channel can do excellent blues.

Turn off the GEQ.
Lead Gain 5-7
Lead Drive 2-4

Use your guitar volume and other controls.

I’d be trying to set up the clean channel to clip. One of the common threads with Mesa is that as you turn up gain you have to increase treble and roll the bass way off.

May sound weird, but I get a decent blues tone when I max channel 1's gain, lower the bass and add a bit of mids. This is with a SG (for what it's worth).

bgh said:
May sound weird, but I get a decent blues tone when I max channel 1's gain, lower the bass and add a bit of mids. This is with a SG (for what it's worth).

Not weird at all. The clean channel has great breakup when cranked.

I get a scorching blues tone on channel R2 with my MkIV combo + Theile 1x12 using light to moderate gain, but a guitar with toasty pickups (which is what people needed in the old days since amps had little gain).

One of my Charvels with a Duncan Parallel Axis Trembucker (doesn't look like a blues pickup I suppose :roll: ) pushes R2 just hard enough to get a sort of Gary Moore power blues sound. The Lead channel is over the top for blase IMO unless drastically tweaked, but R2 gets the job done.

Hi!
I'm still new to these amps, but they can definitely be used for blues!
AFAIK Walter Trout used a Mark IV A as his main amp for years!

Cheers
Es

Back