Mark III bass control question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainbrew

Reaction score
I just picked up a red stripe mark iii combo which seems to work fine and sounds fantastic but wondering if the bass control is working correctly.

The push pull bass knob definitely adds bass when pulled but the bass knob itself seems to make no real difference wherever I set it.

Is this normal? Is the bass knob subtle on these?

If this isn't normal what might be the issue if the push pull seems to be working fine?

Thanks!

I was wondering about the same thing with my C+ 's mid pot. I had this amp since 1984 and the mid pot seemed to have no affect till recently. When I lowered the treble pot, I then heard a change with the mid pot. Also, my bass pot is very subtle too. But the bass shift , I can definitely hear it.

Can always hook up a multimeter in resistance mode to the pots with the amp off and check the difference in resistance as the knob is turned to check the pot is actually working properly within the limits it's meant to? If you can eliminate that as working correctly then maybe look around further. The Bass pot does make a difference and is normally turned down really low (e.g. 0-2) so that is interesting.

The pull on the bass is essentially just an on/off switch so that could be working whereas the turning part of the pot isn't changing resistance. You need to confirm that with the multimeter above though first though but normally they're pretty good so without confirming don't buy a new pot just yet.

jrb32 said:
Can always hook up a multimeter in resistance mode to the pots with the amp off and check the difference in resistance as the knob is turned to check the pot is actually working properly within the limits it's meant to? If you can eliminate that as working correctly then maybe look around further. The Bass pot does make a difference and is normally turned down really low (e.g. 0-2) so that is interesting.

The pull on the bass is essentially just an on/off switch so that could be working whereas the turning part of the pot isn't changing resistance. You need to confirm that with the multimeter above though first though but normally they're pretty good so without confirming don't buy a new pot just yet.

Thanks.
I'm taking the amp to my local boogie tech this Friday. I'll have him check it out. He'll be replacing the mid pot as it's broken.
Maybe somehow related to why the bass pot isn't Working properly?

The pots on Marks are interactive. When you turn the treble pot up, the mid & bass pots have their effect reduced. The mid gets reduced to almost nothing in fact. The bass just makes it muddy. Here's how you tell if they're working- turn them all to 0, and just turn one up at a time & see if it commands anything.

Latest posts

Back