Big Muff Russian reissue sounds horrible on Mk V - request settings advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeronimo

Reaction score
Last week I picked up playing again after a break (too busy with other stuff). I got inspired by the great tone of Dave Gilmour's solo tone on Comfortably Numb. Afterndoing some reading on the Gilmourish website I decided that I needed a Big Muff Russian reissue, despite knwowing that I do not like dirt pedals :roll: .
The pedal came in yesterday, I hooked it up and got pretty dissapointed because I can' dial in any decent tone....
This is my signal chain:
KH wah
SP compressor
Strat plus
Polytune 2
EVH phase 90
Muff
MkV:90
Tc corona and Flashback X4 in the loop.
With all controlls at 12:00, the volume increase is very big. The most acceptable tone was on the clean channel FAT setting, but sounding way too bright. Lowering tone did not really improve much.
Can anybody help me with finding good settings?
For information, I play only at home so I am looking for settings that work at bedroom levels (yes, I know the MkV is overkill)

"I got inspired by the great tone of Dave Gilmour's solo tone on Comfortably Numb."

Honestly, I don't hear a muff sounding fuzz on that solo at all. The backing rhythm track maybe.
I run a Blackout Effectors Blunderbuss for a fuzz on channel 3 (MarkIV) and use it for the solo on "Time."
Most of the "dirt" I'm getting from the amp though and the fuzz is there to flavor and add sustain.

:jb

Jeronimo said:
This is my signal chain:
Strat plus
Polytune 2
EVH phase 90
Muff
I don't see loads of compression and a parked Wah in that signal chain.
Also, what's with the Phaser?

Jeronimo said:
BMW-KTM said:
Jeronimo said:
This is my signal chain:
Strat plus
Polytune 2
EVH phase 90
Muff
I don't see loads of compression and a parked Wah in that signal chain.
Also, what's with the Phaser?

My post was inaccurate, I forgot to list the wah and compressor. Using the compressor helps a bit. Removing the Phaser or moving after the Muff does not make an improvement. The parked wah is an interesting option, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

jb's 52 said:
Honestly, I don't hear a muff sounding fuzz on that solo at all. The backing rhythm track maybe.
I run a Blackout Effectors Blunderbuss for a fuzz on channel 3 (MarkIV) and use it for the solo on "Time."
Most of the "dirt" I'm getting from the amp though and the fuzz is there to flavor and add sustain.

:jb

My starting point was information from the Gilmourish website, maybe a misinterpretation from my side. I might try a fuzz, till so far I do not like any dirt pedal on the MkV, except for the good old TS

You're doing this on your clean channel, right?
Hi-Watt amps are not known for their amazing crunchy tones.
They can do it (sort of) but clean is their strong suit and I think that's how Dave used them.
Dial in more compression and use the parked wah and I think you'll get a lot closer.
Maybe add some 'verb and a small amount of Chorus instead of Phaser.
You could also try adding a bit of delay.
Dave likes a very wet signal.
He also used a couple of aftermarket tone shaping controls on his Strats (not normal tone pots) that contributed greatly to how he got his sound.
Maybe roll a little bit of tone back on your Strat.

Latest posts

Back