How old were you when you started playing guitar?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GIG4FUN and BMW-KTM, LOL! I gotta say you may have tied for first for the shortest sentences ever on an online forum - LESS than one word!

I remember being gifted a mini-guitar when I was nine :). Couldn't properly play a guitar until I was sixteen. Been having multiple guitars now but I still keep the first mini-guitar back then. Sweet memory.

I was 14. I’ll be 40 in April. Played in a lot of bands and such but not so much in the last 4 years. I’m getting back into writing for real now.

I started playing in the late 60s. I was 14 or 15 at the time.

Got my first guitar at 9 - a log of a Harmony acoustic. But, I didn't start seriously playing until about 14. That was 41 years ago and I am still learning!

I started in high school.

Had nobody to teach me a thing. We didn't have the internet and I did not know music.

I had to just figure it out, took me forever. Finally nailed down a power chord and that opened up the world to me.
Used my ear to just figure out song after song.

I was taught the cowboy chords when I was in single digits. But I didn't actually pick up the guitar and want to learn it until I was just out of high school. 35 years later I'm still at it. I'm not good, I just don't have the disciplined practice habits required to make the jump to expert level, but I can carry a simple tune in a large bucket if nobody distracts me.

Honestly it's BUILDING guitars that is the strongest attractor for me. If I practiced playing with as much dedication that I apply when building guitars, I'd be a very good guitarist. I settle for being a very good luthier.

Will said:
GIG4FUN and BMW-KTM, LOL! I gotta say you may have tied for first for the shortest sentences ever on an online forum - LESS than one word!

yes... I started playing guitar at 6 years old, thank goodness. I was always hated by my parents for playing guitar under the covers in my basement bedroom and scolded for not "go to bed" routine. As a kid it was my peace and sanctuary in a bad home. Once I took it up, It was my salvation. It gave me reason to love things of quality and "right". Music is peace and it gives me peace to know it saved me - right up there with God in my view.

got my first guitar at 5 years old and started taking lessons. I was hooked at 3 years old watching my uncles perform and wanted to play and perform just like them, so my uncle got me my first student sized nylon string Norma acoustic guitar in 1988 .. and i still have it.. now I have 7 purpose built axes.. all custom. and 1 greek bouzouki. Still have my rev F dual recto as well \m/

Attachments

• TowerOfTerror.jpg
    TowerOfTerror.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 0
Yesterday. I just started learning how to play the guitar. However, the first time I made noise with one was when I was between 12 and 14 years old. Been making noise for the past 43 years. Never learned how to play it.

When I was 12 my uncle gave me a small Magnetone and a 60s Hagstrom I. 35 years later he passed down his ‘71 GoldTop (54/58 reissue).

My dad taught me the cowboy chords when I was still in elementary school. I actually became interested in learning the guitar beyond that point around the age of 20.

Latest posts

Back