david gilmour

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyfancy

Reaction score
anyone have any tips for getting a good david gilmour sound out of a mark III black dot? i know a fuzz is needed, judt a general starting point

Low gain, a good Strat or single coil, and a decent compressor. I would start with R2 with the input around 5 or 6 and let the comp do a lot of the work. Don't for get the delay. Start around 600 to 700 ms.

Check out www.gilmourish.com. They list his gear album by album

Gilmour mailny got his distortion sounds from pedals, not from the amp. He used Hiwatt amps to get a loud, but clean sound. He would then get his distortion from combinations of a Fuzz Face or Big Muff, followed by a Colorsound Power boost. He was also known to use a Chandler Tube Driver, and eventually migrated to Pete Cornish effects, built into his pedalboard.

i've seen that just wondering about a good clean sound setting as a starting point. i know boogies are a different beast than hiwatts.ust someting close. never thought about a compresser though. don't quite understand them.

cho said:
Check out http://www.gilmourish.com. They list his gear album by album

Gilmour mailny got his distortion sounds from pedals, not from the amp. He used Hiwatt amps to get a loud, but clean sound. He would then get his distortion from combinations of a Fuzz Face or Big Muff, followed by a Colorsound Power boost. He was also known to use a Chandler Tube Driver, and eventually migrated to Pete Cornish effects, built into his pedalboard.

All of this ^ plus he uses EMG pickups as well to get some of his sound in a few of his guitars.

johnnyfancy said:
i've seen that just wondering about a good clean sound setting as a starting point. i know boogies are a different beast than hiwatts.ust someting close. never thought about a compresser though. don't quite understand them.

Compressors squash the dynamic range (dynamic range means the range from the quietest part of the signal to the loudest part) so that, overall, everything seems closer to the same volume. Very extreme compressor settings will do it so much, that you basically lose all dynamic range and all frequencies will have roughly the same volume. This lends to a very dry, character-less tone that is super touchy and basically impossible to play with any sense of tone or feeling.

Mild compressor settings will squish it just a bit, but enough that the parts of the waveform that would normally be super quiet (ie: upper level harmonics) become a bit louder, and the sound seems a bit more alive and sensitive.

They can do a lot of things, they are definitely fun to play with, but that's the jist of them.

Platypus said:
All of this ^ plus he uses EMG pickups as well to get some of his sound in a few of his guitars.

True. Its good the MK IIIs respond well to EMGs (at least my blue stripe does...)

As to the compressor thing; mrd is correct. Mild compression with the correct settings on clean settings can yield lovely sparkles and chimes in upper harmonic registers where previously unheard, and squash the low end attack; giving players a more "attacked" feel. Overcompression will lead to tone-deadness and a dry, unsavory tone. To me, compression on anything more than a little bit of gain sounds too grainy and leaves you just wanting to not play, but if you can mix in the correct amount it will enhance picking dynamics.

Alot of country players and chickin pickers use compressors on their clean tones for that shimmery sound and "pop". Gain + compression to me usually just adds a taste of gain that is not nice to the ears. Compression is a very sublime effect, and Boogies already have a very natural compression sound anyway...

Btw, dont forget your Electric Mistress!

Gilmour = God. Floyd is and always will be my fav band. I think he used a Mark I for the Wall tour...

oh, and my current demi-gods :) are Jeff Beck, Dimebag (RIP) and Cantrell.

SOAD sucks, LA radio is a total disaster nowadays. wow.

rabies said:
Gilmour = God. Floyd is and always will be my fav band. I think he used a Mark I for the Wall tour...

Interesting...... :idea:

The Wall tour has my most favourite lead tones of Gilmour.

Here are some pics I found of his racks with a Boogie in there:

http://www.gilmourish.com/wp-content/images/aboutface_rig.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cz9To5JXsNo/SrEzr4DbR2I/AAAAAAAAArY/_nXRB5nQ07g/s1600/Gilmour87rig.jpg

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=30
"Mesa/Boogie Mark III Simul-Class mini amp head
- for overdrives with a Boss HM-2 in front"

so fender and mesa? hmmm... i thought you used an expensive british brand similar to marshall at one point.

what did they use for the live at pompeii? that was maximum badass man! what a fuckin gig!

Interesting: It says he used the Mark III with a Boss HM-2 in front. I wonder which channel on the Mark III he was using.... I can't imagine the HM-2 sounds good in front of the lead channel, so I assume he was using the clean or crunch channel....

For what it's worth this is a clip of me using a MK3, it's not a fancy recording by any means I think it's from someone's cell but the audio's decent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q03UHr6AFXo

Martin said:
For what it's worth this is a clip of me using a MK3, it's not a fancy recording by any means I think it's from someone's cell but the audio's decent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q03UHr6AFXo

wow, that was awesome. great playing!

Thanks, I'm still using the MK3 bought it in 87. Contemplating using it with a HI-Tone.

johnnyfancy said:
anyone have any tips for getting a good david gilmour sound out of a mark III black dot? i know a fuzz is needed, judt a general starting point

I still play through my 35 year old Mark IIC and have managed to get a descent DG tone. I use a Boss CP-1X compressor then push the amp a bit with a Boss BD-2. Iv'e haven't been able to get any descent sounds with big muff pedals with the amp but the lead channel gets a pretty good sound for me. Lately I've also been using a Boss OD-1X overdrive pedal, I really am starting to like that pedal! For the wall tones my secret weapon is a Mooer E-Lady then some delay.

Latest posts

Back