Mark series (IIB specifically) settings question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwnguy

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to get the cleanest sound possible from my setup. I am trying for a folk/classical sound with the least hint of electrification.
I play very little rhythm chords (strumming), mostly finger pick. Kind of "Dust in the wind" but on an electric set up.

My Boogie MKIIB is currently set to (Pres on back):
V1 - T - B - M - M1 - LD - LM Pres
7 - 5.5 - 1.5 - 6 - 2 - 0 - 0 5
No knobs pulled. Currently I've only experimented with the "rhythm" setting on the boogie. As I write up this question, I'm thinking "hey, I should putz with the lead settings". Um, yea, d'uh. So, I'll continue to try stuff, but I'm sure open to anyone's thoughts.

My guitar is a 1988 Gibson DOT ES 335 (blonde) with original humbucking pickups and I currently have Pyramid Gold Superior Quality Chrome Nickel Flat Wound Electric ( Light, .010 - .0465) strings with standard tuning.
The rocker switch is set in the middles to get both pickups. The bridge pickup is vol:5, tone:8 and the neck pickup is vol:7, tone:8

I play directly from guitar to amp, no pedals, good thick cable.

I've printed the MKIIB sample settings sheet from on page 2 of the http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=59008 thread and I've experimented a little, but not enough.

PS - I'm also open to input on different/better strings for the guitar. Thanks for any help!

If you want the cleanest tone, you want the Master as high as you can have it without the amp being too loud. You have Volume 1 at 7, put it at 3 tops, the lower, the cleaner. I would bring the Presence knob up to around 8 which will open up the amp and I would keep the Treble down to around 5 as you have it now. The tone knobs, Treble, Bass, and Mid, are cut only so when you have it set for 10, be extra careful, it does not cut any tone. Your best bet for using Bass is to set it between 1-3 and adjust the amount with the GEQ slider.

If your tubes are not newer, new tubes will change everything for the way way way better.

Thank you Markedman. I've done as you suggested and I am getting a lot of buzz/hum, it is proportional to the increase in master increase. A little worse in "lead" than "rhythm" mode. The tubes have never been replaced and the amp is at least 37 years old. So I'm looking at new tubes at the amplifiedparts.com website. Looks like I need (4) 12AX7 and (2) 6L6. Not sure if there is a specific brand to get, looks like a person will spend $100 or more. Not a problem, after all the last ones amortized over 40 years. The presence knob is also finicky, with lots of noise as I turn it. Tried the whirl and twirl cleaning method, but didn't help much. Oh well, tubes first. That I can do.

Appreciate you suggestions, thanks again

Back