C6A7's in the Dyne

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daxman73

Reaction score
Been scanning the board here to find some info of this subject. Has anyone had experience with this combo? I read somewhere on here that they could be used with the Dyne in the EL34 position and you get a sort of an between 6L6 and EL34 sound? Very interested, thanks.

I have used the EH version of those tubes for years and absolutely love them in particular amps. Yes, you can use them with the EL34 bias setting. To me, they are like EL34s on steroids - which is how Tube Depot describes them, too. They are kind of a cross between 6L6s and EL34s, but I never put them in my Dyne since it was so lower-mid heavy as it is. But, they are the only tubes I will run in my Carvin Vai Legacy.

Thanks for the reply jnoel64, I appreciate it. So, would these tubes emphasize the low-mids even more in the Dyne you think? I'm not sure that'd be a good thing lol.

If you already have the tubes, there's no harm in trying. Also depends on what speakers you are pairing the Dyne with.

Actually, I don't have a set yet, got some on the way though. Currently, I'm running the Dyne through my trusty OS Recto 4x12. It's stock and about 15+ years old, so it's broken in real nice. I'm really interested in hearing how they would alter the sonic qualities of the amp. It's not that I'm unhappy with the 6L6's, I just want to see if they'll "sharpen" up the low end if you understand what I mean.

If you're currently running 6L6s, you should definitely hear a difference in the mids the most. Those tubes might tighten up the lower end a bit. I think I tried a set once, but still preferred the Tung Sol EL34Bs.
I switch between 2 different 2x12's. One is the Mesa Vertical Recto cab with a V30 on the bottom and a WGS Invader 50 on the top. The other is an open back with 2 WGS British Lead (similar to the Celestion CL80) in it. That one is my favorite for the Dyne. But, everyone's ears/preferences are different.

Back