Need help please: Mark V or Fillmore?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuuhl

Reaction score
I’ve spent hours and hours online trying to determine which will best suit my needs. I don’t have access to test live. I’m not playing out any more, but occasionally jamming with friends and home playing. I want Mesa because I want high-quality. I’m looking for a head to use with a 2x12 closed back cab with very well-worn V30s, and a Les Paul (mostly). I play a wide variety of music, but mostly classic rock, hard rock and edgy blues. I’ve owned a TC-50 combo in the past and thought it was good, but not great. Better through my 2x12 cab than the stock speaker,

From what I’ve read, here’s what I understand:
Mark V - Flagship amp, decent cleans, great vintage and modern gains, vast array of tones, hard to dial-in (which I don’t mind).
Fillmore - New to the line-up, great cleans, good vintage gain, easy to dial in, takes pedals well.

I’m thinking V:35 or Fillmore 50, but not stuck on either, Watts-wise. I’m looking for input around the variety of usable tones, overall performance and comparative differences not mentioned above. This is a GREAT forum and I appreciate your advice and suggestions!!

I probably would have chosen the Mark V:35 but the V:25 sounds good too. From what I have gathered by others, the EL84 based Mark amps have the tone similar to the real IIC+ amps from the 80's so that would be similar to the JP-2C as well. Hope your decision meets your expectations.

Sounds like you already had your mind made up when you posted..coming to a conclusion 24 hours later.

Would've recommended at Mark V 90w for versatility and dispute the "decent cleans" - the Mark V cleans are as good as any combo if you dial them in.

Also, not 'hard' to dial in...just takes patience due to the vast # of options.

Enjoy the new amp!

I too would have recommended the Mark V-35 instead of the Mark V-25.
A more usable clean channel.
(my opinion)

In any case, enjoy.
New amps are always fun.

Back