New JP-2C Owner - Question re lead tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nag2139

Reaction score
Hi guys -

Just got a new JP-2C, which I'm running through my 2x12 recto cab, and overall it sounds great! The one thing I was a bit surprised to notice is that on channel 3 even with full gain and a decent amount of treble, I feel like I'm not getting really full saturation and sustain on high notes in solos. I am coming from an old Peavy Vypyr combo amp and I was using the overdrive JSX setting, which gave me a ton of gain, and I was able to hold/bend high notes for what felt like forever. On the JP-2C, after a few seconds, high notes start to fade away and I have to keep picking to continue the tone.

I play a lot of Dream Theater and similar stuff and am definitely after that sort of sound. I thought I heard JP say that he doesn't really need to use any sort of overdrive pedal or anything as the JP-2C has plenty of gain, but I feel like it could use more in this regard! Does anyone else use an overdrive pedal to get that fully-saturated sound on high notes and if so could anyone please tell me what they use? Any other thoughts/suggestions would be very helpful!

There’s be a number of factors at play:

- guitar setup
- string life

Assuming the guitar side is fine, and isolating the amp:

- do you use any FX? Delay on the lead tone helps extend its life.

- what are your settings? You mentioned gain set to high and decent amount of treble. How high are we talking? I find all the suggested settings to be too low on gain and treble.

do you pull gain? Pull presence? And where is your bass set to? Too much bass in the preamp can choke out the tone. I set mine to around 10-10:30 on channel 3 and that would be considered high. Anything above 12o’clock kills the sustain.

- What volume do you play? The suggested settings in the manual and JP settings are generally suit to loud playing. If you’re playing at a lower volume you’d need to compensate with more gain and treble.

- perhaps there’s a tube issue in channel 3 gain stage?

If you can upload a video showing settings and the tone would be helpful.
-

Thanks for the reply. I actually just got my new Ernie Ball Majesty with the 20 db volume boost and this is perfect for those slow, sustaining high-note lead passages!! Amp has been sounding great.

Latest posts

Back