Fillmore 25 Combo - Now What???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobyzjr

Reaction score
Hello everyone in forum land! Here is my story: I have a Marshall JCM 2000 100 watt head that I run through a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab with vintage 30's. I love the tone I get. I run clean and use pedals in the front of my amp. Everything is great. It is just bulky and heavy.

So, I decided to pick up a Fillmore 25, as I always wanted to have a 6V6 amp. I figured pairing the Fillmore 25 combo with an 80's Thiele EVM cab would get me close to where I want to be, but in a smaller and lighter amp.

Giving the two setups a good A/B, I found that I can get a pretty similar fullness to my tone and a good clean tone. The Fillmore also gives me a little more mid push, so that is cool.

Here is the issue - the Marshall has a little more clarity than the Fillmore in my gain tones, no matter what pedal I use. Not that the Fillmore is bad sounding. It is just that the Marshall has a cleaner gain, if that makes sense. Running the Fillmore through just the Thiele cab sounds better, so I am thinking about taking the C90 out of the Fillmore and replacing it.

I have a Celestion Heritage G12H 55 that I am thinking about trying. Before I go to the trouble of swapping, I thought I would get some opinions here. I use a Strat and a Les Paul. I only use overdrive, not heavy distortion and play mostly blues and 70's rock.

I found the C90 to be a warm sounding speaker in an Express 5:50. I loved it for the clean sounds but not as much for the dirty sounds. I swapped it with an Eminence Tonker and it improved the detail in the dirty sounds though I didn't like it as much for clean sounds.

I've decided to stick with my Marshall, even if it is heavier and bulkier! Boogie on Reverb.

Latest posts

Back