Purchasing Full Set of Tubes for Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD1965

Reaction score
Hi All,

Having just got my Mark V that is a few years old, think it would be a good idea to replace all the tubes, if just to have a replacement set.

There are a variety of places that I could go to for a full set of power and preamp tubes.

Your thoughts/recommendations?

Any help appreciated,
JD

I put a Preamp Tone Kit from Doug's in my Express, MK IIB and Soldano Astroverb with great results, especially in the Express. It's not the cheapest way to buy tubes, but the combination of the dimpled square getter Chinese tube and Tung Sol in the early gain stages and the Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the phase inverter is nice.
I put a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the phase inverter of every modern amp that calls for a 12AX7 there.

Preamp tubes don't need to be replaced unless they're noisy or dead, and you can save some money buy leaving them alone and just carrying a couple of spares (though I recommend changing the phase inverter every time you replace power tubes), but you can play around with the sound of the amp by trying different brands.

I try to replace my tubes at least once every two years. I also have a tube tester. I do not test the tubes to see if there is a tube that needs to be replaced. I replace all the tubes. I then test all the old tubes. If there is one that looks weak I'll put it in a bag with the other weak tubes. Remember a weak tube is not a blown tube and it can get you through in a pinch. All the other tubes that measure up I keep as replacements also but they are in the "GOOD" tube bag. I buy my tubes from Mesa.

Change your tubes and if you play enough you can hear the difference. If you have the cash just buy a set and keep them for a problem later on.

Been using Eurotubes sets for my Mark. They resell JJs. They have been solid so far.

Latest posts

Back