Road King 2 - channels

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cembo

Reaction score
... there is Brit mode on channel 2. They said this channel is based on Stiletto pre-amp so I'm wondering which mode on Stiletto is it corresponding to, and how close does it sound to it. The same with channel 3 on Vintage mode, how would you guys compare it to actual Dual Recto. Basically anyone who can tell me more about all 4 channels and power-amp (sounds like there are two power-amps for vintage tone ch1, ch2 and for modern tone ch3, ch4) ...

I almost never use my Brit setting because I love the Tweed on channel one, can't help you much on that one. Channel three and four aren't nearly as aggressive in the high end as the multiwatt rectos, it's much more useful for me. It sounds more like the older Dual that I had. Road King is less metal focused and more versatile in my opinion, not to say it can't do metal.

As for all the options:
Each channel has three modes
You can run 2x6l6 power tubes, 4x6l6 power tubes, 2 EL34 power tubes or 4x6l6 and 2xEL34 power tubes on each channel. You can use the same on all four channels, or different settings on each channel.

Download the manual and read through it, you'll learn a lot. f you have any other specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

... thanks man. I'm quite happy that you said ch.3 and 4 are closer to old dual rectos. I haven't got the chance to try my RK2 with band so far, just home recording and practicing e.t.c, but I found ch.3 in vintage mode little bit lacking those high end freq you are mentioning, however it can kick low end like nothing else especially with EL34 and diode rect. My Tele with Bare Knuckle - SC Piledriver on bridge ch.3 on vintage mode sounds really brutal and punchy but I had to push treble almost to max. ... I set ch.1 with 6L6, tube rect, tweed mode and ch.2 with EL34, diode, brit. Those two channels are now completely different amps for different scenarios. Just that ch.3 with lack of high end is bothering me which is dramatically noticeable when you switch from ch.2 to ch.3 :) ...

Try running channel 3 in RAW mode and you will get more highs, but less gain. With all of the extra highs (presence) in channel 4 to compensate for usually being used for the MODERN mode, perhaps you should look at that channel for the brighter tones and use channel 3 for thicker lead tones. I've been able to set my third channel pretty bright (too much for me) pretty easily. You may want to also consider swapping your V3 12ax7 tube for something that has more top end. That one will only impact Channels 3 and 4, and won't change channel 1 or 2 at all.

Back