Original Mark II C+ vs. Mark II C Conversions, Any Differences?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'59fatburst

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience playing both an original Boogie Mark IIC+ and a Mark IIC converted to "+" specs? It seems that a lot of the available amps right now are IIC conversions and I'd consider those over an original IIC+ if there was no discernable difference. Also, there seems to be a bit of a cost savings going with a conversion over an original, factory IIC+. Thanks!

Depends on the board. If the IIC has an SP11A or RP11A (from about September 83 onwards) then a converted IIC+ will be IDENTICAL to a factory IIC+ in every physical way. Seriously. 100%. No question.

If it has an SP10A or RP10A (the early IICs before this) then it will be identical from a circuit point of view but be DIFFERENT to a factory IIC+ physically.

You'd need internal pics to confirm this. But then it gets more complicated from a technical standpoint the ORIGINAL IIC+ (the one MB and DW modded) used an SP10A or RP10A board (99% confident on this) so go figure...

Both are killer amps. Worth the investment if the price is right.

For my ramblings:

https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18184&start=195#p522342

Wow, thanks for that. I guess I need to do some more homework. I thought all 2C's were the same. I didn't know about the board differences.

Outside of the differences mentioned above involving the pcb, the differences are in the power transformer. Even a IIC with the RP11a board will most likely have a different pt, at least where the DRG and HRG are concerned. There may have been a couple IICs right at the end that got a 105 and a couple factory IIC+ that got the 100, but those are exceptions.
The PT is where people really get caught up in the whole Factory is better than upgrade debate. You can read the Guide for Dummies on here for the transformer breakdown.

The difference is the power transformers and also if a Simul Class has the brightness reduced. A factory HR has punchier cleans and tighter overdrive. An early factory DR with the brightness reduced has sweeter cleans/leads and softer attack. My upgraded HR is somewhere in between and is one of my favorites. The Coliseum has the most low end and the leads are super creamy. A Simul with the brightness increased has very detailed cleans and a more aggressive lead tone. The most tone for the money would be a Studio Preamp with the 50/50 power amp. I asked Mike B. if he could do a c+ "lite" mod to my Studio Pre instead of a full blown c+ mod. He said he could change a couple caps to warm it up. It sounds really good with the 50/50 powering two vertical metal grill 2x12's. Another cost effective amp would be getting an early Mark III with the 105 transformer and sending it to Mike B. for the III+/R2 mod. I actually spend most of my time playing thru my Mark III+ DRG with the x101 transformer. Mike B. just finished working on another Mark III+ DRG with a 105 transformer. Someone had hacked up the circuit board so Mike put in a later Mark III board. He said R2 should have more push. I can wait to get it back.

Latest posts

Back