Mark IV with 6V6 - Triode? Pentode?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquierJVs

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've read the user's manual for both the Mark IVa & IVb. Both have the same info regarding the use of 6V6:
- "four 6V6's can also be used in the MARK IV ... but, ONLY when TWEED and SIMUL-CLASS are selected"

But nothing is said about the use of Pentode vs Triode modes.

Does anyone know if there is a requirement to use one or other? Or can this mode be switched to either depending on your mood?

Signed
Happy owner of a Mark IVa

Use 6V6 tubes ONLY when TWEED and SIMUL-CLASS are selected. Just like it says.

If you use any other mode, you're going to blow up the tubes. 6V6 tubes are limited in the voltages they can withstand.
In any other mode, the amp will over-voltage a 6V6.

Well the manuals are very clear ... TWEED and SIMUL-CLASS _only_ with 6V6's (and all 4 need to be 6V6's).

But the selection of Pentode vs Triode is independent of Simul-Class and Tweed settings.

My question is whether there is a restriction? Or is just the guitarist's choice?

The pentode/triode switch doesn't change plate voltage. It just determines how the screen is connected in the circuit.

You can mess with that switch with 6V6 tubes installed. Just don't do what it says NOT to do.

Excellent.

Thank you for that clear explanation.

Off to my local music shop to pick up the Mesa 6v6's I ordered. :)

Back