Fake???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpd

Reaction score
Hi

This is locally listed as a Mark I but few things seem off. Volume/master order seems off as does the EQ tonestack order. No dynamo labels and stencilled faceplate.

Thoughts?

guFclxO.jpg

qEZjTYO.jpg

This looks really similar to one of the Neil Young Boogies which were suppose to be some of the earliest ones sold. You might see if you can find a date codes anywhere (either the chassis itself or on some of the electrical components. My guess is it is real based on the photos but who knows. I don't think there is much money to be made recreating vintage Boogies so I just assume everything is real other than the obvious "mass produced" fakes.

Hmm..
faceplate looks just "too" shiny..
Back looks rather bare of any info at all..
Wot are the tranny codes ? The O/T looks very Fenderish too
Guts shots will tell in a millisecond..
Backplate timber looks non-orig as do the supports. And missing a couple of mounting screws on the backplate timber.
P/T looks big and typical Boogie.
The Boogie logo - did they ever come with 3 lines under the name ?
There's no "ghosting" of the font like early Mk I's. The solid Name/font didn't appear until the Mk IIA and beyond.
Missing the 4 mounting screws and chromed cup-washers on wicker.
Are the knobs Rogan ? - they look possibly so.
Interesting find.. keep us posted, especially for future readers..

Cheers, Dave

Here's a front shot of the very early Neil Young Mark I that sold through Julien's:
https://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2017/neil-young/flipbook/141/#zoom=z

More Shots:
https://imgur.com/gallery/ypksw

Here's the page from the Mark III era catalog that mentions the first four Boogies were hardwood and made for Neil Young:
https://imgur.com/vhv4dj7 (bottom left aside)

McBarry said:
Hmm..
faceplate looks just "too" shiny..
Back looks rather bare of any info at all..
Wot are the tranny codes ? The O/T looks very Fenderish too
Guts shots will tell in a millisecond..
Backplate timber looks non-orig as do the supports. And missing a couple of mounting screws on the backplate timber.
P/T looks big and typical Boogie.
The Boogie logo - did they ever come with 3 lines under the name ?
There's no "ghosting" of the font like early Mk I's. The solid Name/font didn't appear until the Mk IIA and beyond.
Missing the 4 mounting screws and chromed cup-washers on wicker.
Are the knobs Rogan ? - they look possibly so.
Interesting find.. keep us posted, especially for future readers..

Cheers, Dave

Hi
What specifically will I be looking for on gutshots?

That's an early Aidean Zoom copy made in Japan... Also known as a "Meisa".

There are alot of em' out there before Mesa got their lawyers mobilzied. They ironically can sound good with a little love...

Will know ASAP as I’m going to open her up and look at the boards. Apparently it was signed by Randall but I won’t believe the hype until I see the boards for myself :)

lovetoboogie said:

There are alot of em' out there before Mesa got their lawyers mobilzied. They ironically can sound good with a little love...

No, this is NOT an Aidean Zoom copy!

This is a really old amp that actually predates what became the Mark I. The give away is the Level control, basically a second Master at the end of the preamp and coming AFTER the added booster stage. This is the configuration Randy came up with for Lee Michaels and his Crown DC-300 monster power amps.

This amp (and a small handful of others like it) has the extra "high gain" stage at the end of the preamp. This meant that it was always high gain and thus a little difficult to dial a traditional clean.

The amp is legit - verified by Randall Smith

Authorized Boogie said:

This is a really old amp that actually predates what became the Mark I. The give away is the Level control, basically a second Master at the end of the preamp and coming AFTER the added booster stage. This is the configuration Randy came up with for Lee Michaels and his Crown DC-300 monster power amps.

This amp (and a small handful of others like it) has the extra "high gain" stage at the end of the preamp. This meant that it was always high gain and thus a little difficult to dial a traditional clean.

Awesome! Thanks for confirming. Very cool amp to see! I wish I could have swung the Neil Young amp but $5,000+ was out of my league.

Authorized Boogie said:
lovetoboogie said:

That is awesome news. Thanks for verifying that. I have a late 73 head that seems to be a prototype. Property tag era. All the ones with the gloss faceplate that I had seen previously were the Japanese clones.

lovetoboogie said:
That is awesome news. Thanks for verifying that. I have a late 73 head that seems to be a prototype. Property tag era. All the ones with the gloss faceplate that I had seen previously were the Japanese clones.

By 73 there wasn't much going on as far as prototypes. Enjoy!

Authorized Boogie said:
lovetoboogie said:

By 73 there wasn't much going on as far as prototypes. Enjoy!

It’s legit. Sticker has Randall’s name. Indicates Sept 73.

rXrH7C3.jpg

etX7oLq.jpg

MoD5Epk.jpg

Authorized Boogie said:
As I posted previously, it is indeed an early Boogie

Looks like a handful of resistors and a cap were replaced, different power cord and speaker I assume. Also looks like the back panel may be replaced??

Sticker indicates September 73 any idea why the later date?

It has three pull knobs; the first volume which boosts, second I can’t hear any difference and third is a treble boost add dimension. Came with a footswitch which you can toggle between channel one and both cascaded together.

Has a stones “can you here me knocking” tone and is loud as hell. Master goes from low to loud quickly :)

Back