My “new” Heartbreaker

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jawknee5

Reaction score
Recently got a Heartbreaker head about a week ago. This is actually my first Mesa amp, and I’m already in love. Tonight was my first time playing it at volume and I gotta say it’s already my favorite amp that I own. It’s extremely versatile.

The only things I can really complain about is the reverb, and the lust channel being a little dark for my taste.

Searching the web I know there are some mods out there that sound exactly like what I’m looking for but resources are scarce. I’m hoping with a little time on this forum I can get the help I need to get this amp where I want it.

If you’re a gigging player, try the amp out in a mix before modding it.

Sometimes Mesa’s design decisions will drive you up a wall in isolation, then start making much more sense when you hear them in the proper context.

I own a Heartbreaker and have played on a few that were modified. Not sure what modifications were done but very much prefer it stock. The modifications sounded bad.

The Love channel is basically a Fender Blackface and Mesa Mark I. The Lust channel is a Marshall JTM45 and JTM45 with a added gain stage.
The poweramp is kind of similar to a Fender Twin.

There is plenty of voicing options to control the sound. I would take the time to check out the full range of what the amp can do stock before seriously considering any modifications.

Have you tried a set of 6L6 and EL34 in your Heartbreaker ????

screamingdaisy said:
Sometimes Mesa’s design decisions will drive you up a wall in isolation, then start making much more sense when you hear them in the proper context.

That makes a lot of sense now. I played it at my jam session and it really melded into everyone playing. It just sat and cut through but wasn’t too overpowering. It sounded amazing, and one of the guys wanted to buy it from me on the spot.

Right now I have EL34s in it, and when I got it, it has 6L6s in it. I prefer the EL34s so far but maybe the 6L6s were on the way out anyway.

EL34 has some great gain sounds. 6L6 has the best cleans and probably the biggest range. I'm not real into pedals...but a Rat sounds great with the Heartbreaker.

Latest posts

Back