Does my Road King need servicing? (video showing potential issue)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pradoosa

Reaction score
I bought a Road King II second hand. The owner is offering to have it serviced if it needs but I'd rather not put him out if this is typical behavior.

On channels 3 and 4, when turning the treble up, the bass and volume drop. When I turn the treble down, the volume and bass increase.

With the treble at 11:00-1:00 it sounds pretty normal but when I go past that in either direction, you can hear the described behavior. In the video you will see what happens on channels 1 and 2 (clean) to compare. Treble up, volume goes up.

Disclaimed: Not a guitarist hence the playing and lack of amp knowledge.

https://youtu.be/IFaNtg-FWFk

When you turn up the treble the mid and bass controls will become less effective, but the volume should not change.

I don’t see a video in your post, or a link.

Have you tried swapping any 12AX7s?

Is this happening with the FX loop HARD bypassed?

Are you plugging straight into the amp (no effects)?

Is this a new problem that just started? How old is the amp and tubes?

Dom

It wouldn't let me post the youtube link for some reason. I'll try again.

EDIT: Ok it's letting me post now, I updated the OP.

To answer your questions, it's plugged directly into the front of the amp, the fx loops are bypassed, tubes are pretty new I was told.

https://youtu.be/IFaNtg-FWFk

This is normal. Unless we both are experiences the same problem.

The tone controls are interactive. When you lower the treble, the mids and bass will receive more signal and visa versa. Why the design this way is for flexibility. You could have a various settings that makes this amp sound completely different. The consequences, unless you write down your settings, you might not get the same "tone" back. Say you really like one setting. Make sure you write it down. When you start tweaking your tone controls as well as the gain and volume you might not get that previous tone setting back unless you wrote it down.

I would set all tone controls at 12 o'clock, then slowly turn each right or left 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock. Extreme setting gives could give you a sound you don't like.

Have fun!

Definitely looks normal. I would check out the manual for the road king, as it really details how the EQ controls interact. The Treble is really the dominant control, if set high. Set low the other controls take a bigger part in the mix, and bass definitely SOUNDS louder than Treble.

Back