Mark IV - Worth getting?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaymz

Reaction score
Hi all

There's a Mark IV listed locally (sort of) and the guy is asking a super cheap asking price because a couple of the knobs are broken. From what I've read on the forum these can be fix or pots replaced. This doesn't really bother me too much.

Issue is I have my ideal setup with a JP2c, c+ and Mark V which are all in the same rig and switchable via a footswitch. I've never played a IV.... I play mostly metal / prog. Does the IV have anything tonally that the other 3 do not? For what it's worth it's a IVa so from what I understand has the more vintage tone closer to c+ rather than the "newer / more compressed" type tone. Given I have a c+ this wouldn't be a driver for me to get it.

If I get the Mark IV I would need to get a new cab or dummy load and I can't see any simple way to integrate it into the current rig without a bit of new gear. I know this is a complete first world problem but hoping to get some views from those that have or have played a IV, JP or c+.

Cheers
Themi

Is it different tonally to the c+?

More aggressive maybe? And have you played / own a IVa or IVb?

C+...more bass, less raw, more compressed, more gain. Not as much as the JP2C.

I bought my Mark IVa when they came out almost 30 years ago. I have always had a Mark around since 1982. I've owned a IIB, IIC+, II red stripe and still have my IV. I just really like all the Mark amps. I have owned many other Mesa amps...also still have a Tremoverb I bought in 94' and a Heartbreaker.

I recommend you go check it out and see if it is for you.

Did you end up buying it - I was going too I just couldn't get the funding from the Mrs - Its a cool amp for sure - US voltage was a pain but still for what he was asking for it was a bargin anyway

Casey

kc_ksom said:
Did you end up buying it - I was going too I just couldn't get the funding from the Mrs - Its a cool amp for sure - US voltage was a pain but still for what he was asking for it was a bargin anyway

Casey

Hey Casey

I missed out unfortunately. I had agreed to buy it from him but pulled out due to funding. I have a US conditioner and a couple spare step downs so the US power didn't bother me. It was a bargain for sure, and doubtful we'll see one that cheap in Aus any time soon. Ah well, the timing wasn't ideal and despite how cheap it was for a IV it would have been a stretch.

The MKIV A was my first Mesa in 1991.

I sold it in 1993, and regretted it ever since. I tried later models as late as 2001, but none sounded the same. For many years I thought it was just me.

BUT....I recently came across a 92 MKIV A.

Purely dumb luck, but this is the sound I remember!!

Its got a few minor problems I'm working out now, but its a great blast from my past.

Even though I have Matchless (Clubman, HC30, Indy, Lightning), SLO 100, Friedman Small Box 50, 2 Wizards (MC25 & 50), Carr Mercury V, and love them all....

The MKIV A still has somethings special about it that I've never forgotten, even after all these years.

27 years is a long time.

El Rey said:
The MKIV A was my first Mesa in 1991.

I sold it in 1993, and regretted it ever since. I tried later models as late as 2001, but none sounded the same. For many years I thought it was just me.

BUT....I recently came across a 92 MKIV A.

Purely dumb luck, but this is the sound I remember!!

Its got a few minor problems I'm working out now, but its a great blast from my past.

Even though I have Matchless (Clubman, HC30, Indy, Lightning), SLO 100, Friedman Small Box 50, 2 Wizards (MC25 & 50), Carr Mercury V, and love them all....

The MKIV A still has somethings special about it that I've never forgotten, even after all these years.

27 years is a long time.

While I have absolutely no need for another amp I do expect I'll add a Mark IV at some stage. Undecided on Rev A vs Rev B.. will see what becomes available in Aus. I think I do prefer the short head though so will keep an eye out for one.

I recently got the opportunity to try a IVa and it is incredible sounding. I passed on this one as it was in terrible condition for it's price but definitely adding a IV to the setup this yr.

stephen sawall said:
It really is a great amp.
It definitely is. Once you understand the amp, you can get a whole host of sounds out of it. Lately I have been using my LP's bridge pickup into my Mark IV's channel 1, with the preamp gain maxed. Some very nice, chewy, mildly over-driven tones. Some very good bite to it.

Agree, it is a great amp.

But, I have to be honest: My favorite Mesa is the one I am playing through when you ask me. :D

bgh said:
stephen sawall said:
It really is a great amp.
It definitely is. Once you understand the amp, you can get a whole host of sounds out of it. Lately I have been using my LP's bridge pickup into my Mark IV's channel 1, with the preamp gain maxed. Some very nice, chewy, mildly over-driven tones. Some very good bite to it.

Agree, it is a great amp.

But, I have to be honest: My favorite Mesa is the one I am playing through when you ask me. :D

lol too true

My Mark IVb hardwood / wicker combo arrived yesterday. Still getting acquainted but it is great so far. Had a few teething issues in the beginning with tubes falling out during shipment. But up and running and working through different settings.

HeG1Jno2QX2+UWEWqg6d9g

58148314548__AAB98215-487A-4194-90C9-D1BDF2A23C83

I might retube as I did expect a bit more gain... might be just that I'm still learning the tapers but my c+ has more gain. Easily solved by pull Fat / Pull Bright but think it's probably worth a retube nonetheless. I just love how broad and rich the tone is. I do think Mesa did a pretty decent job at this in the IV mode on the mark V. This just has more for that tone to go and it's more open with less compression. Definitely worth getting, and different enough in tone.

I didn't really have much intention of keeping the cabinet, but it has grown on me very quickly.

Back