Discussion for the new Mark V

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

mace
Mark III

Re: Mesa MarkV / Saturation 'mod'

Post by mace » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:08 pm

ehehat wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:42 am
I'm new to the MK V and just stumbled upon this thread. There's a TON of information here! Can i please just get a down and dirty update? Maybe update the OP? Not looking to do anything but the AT7 swap. Is it just V47? Just V6? Both?

Thanks!
If you have a single AT7, try it in V6 for a while, then in V4. If you have a couple of AT7s, try them in both V4 and V6. See what you like best! I stuck with the AT7 in V6 and have been running that way for quite some time. I’m not the OP btw.
Rankings: #1 Mark V head, #1b TC50 combo, #3 Rectoverb 25 head

ehehat
Bottle Rocket

Post by ehehat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:21 pm

mace wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:08 pm
ehehat wrote:
I'm new to the MK V and just stumbled upon this thread. There's a TON of information here! Can i please just get a down and dirty update? Maybe update the OP? Not looking to do anything but the AT7 swap. Is it just V47? Just V6? Both?

Thanks!
If you have a single AT7, try it in V6 for a while, then in V4. If you have a couple of AT7s, try them in both V4 and V6. See what you like best! I stuck with the AT7 in V6 and have been running that way for quite some time. I’m not the OP btw.
Thanks for the input. I have 2 on the way and will play around when they get here. Does this improve overall sound or only when the loop is on?

Markageddon
Mark III

Post by Markageddon » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:24 pm

V4. V7.

That is all. :p
Mark V
Mark V:25
Mark III (Red Stripe)

Eevil
Mark II

Post by Eevil » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:37 am

mace wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:08 pm
ehehat wrote:

Thanks!
I tried the AT7 first in V4 and it did not work at all but then I swapped the AT7 to V6 and it really was magical cure for cold and stingy high end the amp was putting out. I was (and still am - haven’t tested with today’s ears) struggling with channel 2 pointy high mid but it’s not so prominent anymore.

In the end this was cheap mod with great results :) I may revert to stock at some point but let’s see.
Current:
- Electra-Dyne
- Stiletto Deuce Stage II
- 2x12 Recto horizontal
- 4x12 Stiletto slanted

Gone:
- Mark III 60w/grx
- Studio preamp
- Roadster head
- Triaxis / 2:50
- Stiletto Deuce Stage 1
- CAA OD-50
- Mark V

jp1seattle
Bottle Rocket

Post by jp1seattle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:21 pm

Markageddon wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:24 pm
V4. V7.

That is all. :p
AT7 in the V7?

I also got a couple Jan AT7’s after reading this thread.

Now that it’s dialed in, this amp (90 combo) is really great.
Mark V Combo
Dr Z Maz jr 18 2X10
Fryette Pittbull UL w/EQ
2 4X12 Deliverance cabs
2X12 V30 Cab

Markageddon
Mark III

Post by Markageddon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Yup. In the Phase Inverter. Try it.
The V4 one does the typical AT7 drive perfomance, the Phase Inverter one appears to enhance that massive 3d sounding vintage Markness across all channels. Ive had all my amps in 'this-config-or-similar-to' for a year and a half. Never looked back.

I also use Tungsol 12AX7s for the 1st stages of the preamp too to keep it coming in well in the front end in the first place.
Mark V
Mark III (Red Stripe)

Thaymz
Mark II

Post by Thaymz » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:14 am

Markageddon wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:24 pm
Yup. In the Phase Inverter. Try it.
The V4 one does the typical AT7 drive perfomance, the Phase Inverter one appears to enhance that massive 3d sounding vintage Markness across all channels. Ive had all my amps in 'this-config-or-similar-to' for a year and a half. Never looked back.

I also use Tungsol 12AX7s for the 1st stages of the preamp too to keep it coming in well in the front end in the first place.
Didn't know about this v7 enhancing 3d. Excellent to know, I have a spare Jan Philips so look forward to giving it a go.

Markageddon
Mark III

Post by Markageddon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:36 am

Yeah it definitely sounds that way to me. In my III, V and V:25.

Good man. Let us know what you thought!
Mark V
Mark III (Red Stripe)

psihiatros
Mark I

Post by psihiatros » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:59 pm

Markageddon wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:24 pm
Yup. In the Phase Inverter. Try it. The V4 one does the typical AT7 drive perfomance, the Phase Inverter one appears to enhance that massive 3d sounding vintage Markness across all channels.I also use Tungsol 12AX7s for the 1st stages of the preamp too to keep it coming in well in the front end in the first place.
Hi, great info there!
If you were about to get new tubes for the Mark V (for all positions), would it be possible to give us a quick rundown so that we could get the most out of it? Like,
Position/tube type/tube manufacturer/supplier?
I live in Europe btw.
Thanx in advance 👍🏻
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

CELESTIAL DOGMA (Electro music coming straight from the heart):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHdQTR ... 4S1Vut6uCg

Markageddon
Mark III

Post by Markageddon » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:59 am

V1) Tungsol 12AX7 Goldpin
V2) Tungsol 12AX7 Silver
V3) Tungsol 12AX7 Silver
V4) Mesa 12AT7
V5) Tungsol 12AX7 Silver
V6) Mesa 12AX7
V7) Mesa 12AT7

Try that config. It sounds/feels awesome on my V.

Ive got an equivalent setup in the V:25 and Mark III too.

Its worth noting that the Mesa SPAX7 is also good for V1, but the its sounds like it has like a more modern/selective frequency thing happening compared to the Tungsol Goldpin. Both are good for introducing high sound/power-to-noise ratio. (All the sound, less of the hiss.)
Mark V
Mark III (Red Stripe)

psihiatros
Mark I

Post by psihiatros » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:46 am

Markageddon wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:59 am
V1) Tungsol 12AX7 Goldpin
V2) Tungsol 12AX7 Silver
V3) Tungsol 12AX7 Silver
V4) Mesa 12AT7
V5) Tungsol 12AX7 Silver
V6) Mesa 12AX7
V7) Mesa 12AT7

Try that config. It sounds/feels awesome on my V.

Ive got an equivalent setup in the V:25 and Mark III too.

Its worth noting that the Mesa SPAX7 is also good for V1, but the its sounds like it has like a more modern/selective frequency thing happening compared to the Tungsol Goldpin. Both are good for introducing high sound/power-to-noise ratio. (All the sound, less of the hiss.)
Thanx a lot! What about power tubes and rectifier tube?
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Markageddon
Mark III

Post by Markageddon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:10 am

Power tubes and rectifier tube are standard still.

You're most welcome. \m/
Mark V
Mark III (Red Stripe)

APEMAN
Mark III

Post by APEMAN » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:16 am

...you really have to try the GZ34 rectifier tube... it makes the 10Watt mode so much bigger - it made it my favorite mode.

It's been a while since I started this threat - I usually don't post here anymore since I left the 12at7 path.
A view month ago I finally found the key to (hardware-) mod this amp and throw out the parts that from my perspective don't belong there. Since then, I'm struggeling with myself to start a new mod threat here, because it is not as easy and fast as changing a tube and you can easily destroy the amp and maybe kill yourself if you are untrained with electronics and a soldering iron - and I don't want things like that to happen.

All I want to say is, the "wrong" things (ear piercing frequencies) we hear in CH3 have a hardware reason - there are a view parts and values that differ from the mark II - IV generation and my guess is that mesa changed those values to make the EQ more transparent sounding (- afaik, your c-ness is a nonEQ model). Apart form that, I fine tuned my amps gain structure more into a mark III direction, made the 2C mode 'deep' and brought the "volume 1" control back to my amp (vial dual pot on the gain position). Now, with all 12ax7s it is almost impossible to make CH3 sound bad and the possibilities in combination with the 3 modes seem to be endless. It is totally crazy, because I would call this mod the "mesa mark mod". The JP2C got the original values too - funny, apart from its big transformer, it seems to be a "mesa mark mod"-markV.

Looking back to the 12at7 mod, it kind of compensates the negative effects of the "new" part values. I'm happy to see how many people like it :D

Wayno
Mark III

Post by Wayno » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:31 am

Hi all,

Long time no post.... work sucks hey!

Still more than happy with my Mk V. At7's in V4 and V7, couple hardware mods and she's singing like a bird released for me. Biggest difference is defo in the At7's though. Thank you again APEMAN and everyone who's contributed to this massive thread, this amp screams like a banshee!
Her highness the Veenus
(Mark V/V4 & V7 12AT7 Combo)

2 x 12 Vertical Cab
GSP1101

Gibson LP Studio with alnico ii pro
Schecter C1-XXX with emg 81/85 18v
Jackson Dinky XL with Duncan designed???
Sigma DNC-1STE

psihiatros
Mark I

Post by psihiatros » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:56 pm

Markageddon wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:10 am
Power tubes and rectifier tube are standard still.You're most welcome. \m/
Thanx again bro 👍🏼🤘🏻
Last edited by psihiatros on Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.