Which LoneStar?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crooner

Reaction score
Hello Boogie Folk!
I'm looking to get either a LSC or LSS in the very near future. I play Gretsch Duo Jets, some with FilterTrons (humbuckers) and a couple with DynaSonics (singles) and will likely live in the clean channel most of the time and use pedals to get my dirt (but would definitely like to have the option to use the OverDrive channel, too).

I'm wondering if the LSS will, at 30W, will have the headroom to stay clean at loud volume. I actually e-mailed the great Andy Timmons to get his opinion and he was kind enough to write back, and said that in his opinion, I'd be best off with a LSC with EL34s. I'd appreciate any thoughts you folks might have to offer.

FWIW, I do know that the best way to determine which is best for me is to play through the amps, and I've been able to find a local store with a LSC in stock but no LSS.

I'm looking for a nice, sparkly clean with definition, but not necessarily with the typical Fender Blackface mid-scoop. Something a bit more British, I guess. I also like a tight low-end as opposed to flubby or loose lows.

I appreciate any and all advice and pointers!

ALWAYS listen to what Andy Timmons says! LOL

I vote for the LSC. It has the headroom/cleans you're looking for and takes pedals very well. The LSS breaks up fairly quickly, which is great when you're looking for it, but hard to deal with when you're not.

Tight low end, on Channel 2, might be an issue. It's a very common complaint about the LSC, but have avoided that problem with a set of EL34s and a Mesa Compact Recto 2x12. I also don't run the drive and gain that high to begin with. The gain knob will introduce quite a bit of bass on channel 2 once you start getting past noon. A Bogner La Grange has proven to be fantastic on this channel for British tones.

Thanks VoodooChild! I appreciate the input. I'm going to grab a couple of my Duo Jets and try out the LSC (as well as a Triple Crown, just because they have it in stock) sometime in the next couple of weeks at a local Mesa dealer. I'm still curious to hear a LSS, but what you've said about the headroom is consistent with what I've heard. Andy warned about the abundance of low end too, but, like you, said the EL34s will help with that.

I'll let you know how things turn out.

Cheers!

Crooner

My original stuff is guitar based rock/pop with a Beatles/XTC/JellyFish influence. Lots of hooks, vocal harmonies, etc. At the same time, I'm starting a British Invasion based cover band that will span the '60's to the '90's, so I need some versatility.

While I will likely explore channel 2, I will probably use channel 1 with pedals to get most of my tone.

I currently have a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a Vox AC30CC1 and would like something that's sort of in-between and that's why I arrived at the LoneStar series.

Since you mentioned a tighter sound, I would suggest a head and closed back cab or a combo with a closed back extension cab. I run a Lonestar (6L6) combo stereo with another Lonestar head (EL34) and closed back cabinet. I absolutely LOVE the sound.

The beauty of the LSC is that you can run 6L6s, EL34s, 6V6s, or EL84s. So, you have a lot of options along with the different wattages and tweed settings.

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. Ideally, I'd like to run a wet/dry rig. A stereo rig sounds killer but after watching many episodes of That Pedal Show, I really dig the idea of the wet/dry option. I figure using the LoneStar with EL34s as my "dry" amp and my Deluxe Reverb the wet (at least until I can get a second Boogie), I can get a pretty great sound.

I like the idea of mixing the open back combo with a closed back extension. I imagine that will give me the best of both worlds.

What tubes are you using in the EL34 LS?

With a set of Yellow Jackets, you can run EL84s in the LSC. Found that out in the forums here. I believe you can even blend EL84s and 6V6s in 100 watt mode on the LSC if I remember correctly.

fusguitar said:
Voodoo Child77 said:
The beauty of the LSC is that you can run 6L6s, EL34s, 6V6s, or EL84s.

Just for the clarification, you can't run EL84 in LSC. LSS only runs them.

Wasn't aware that you could use 6V6s either. Mine only has a 6L6/EL34 switch.

Voodoo Child77 said:
With a set of Yellow Jackets, you can run EL84s in the LSC. Found that out in the forums here. I believe you can even blend EL84s and 6V6s in 100 watt mode on the LSC if I remember correctly.

I tested this with Roadster :) using the yellow jackets/el84 in 50w tube positions and leaving the 100w with 6L6s. Those YJs really dropped the output level and introduced some serious chime to the tone in 50w mode. The 100w mode had still some 6L6 quality in tone...

Voodoo Child77 said:
I mean of course without the Yellow Jackets. I think in the most of the amps you can install them, so it doesn't count, right? :lol:

Suave Eddie said:
Wasn't aware that you could use 6V6s either. Mine only has a 6L6/EL34 switch.

Form manual:
"It is possible to run the smaller octal 6V6 power tubes for reduced power applications and a looser
bubblier sound in the TWEED AC POWER SETTING ONLY. Leave the BIAS SELECT switch set to 6L6 (switch down) and install four 6V6 power tubes. It is advisable to use both Channels set to the 100 watt setting for reliability and proper impedance matching.
Do not run 6V6 in the normal POWER ON setting as they cannot handle the higher AC voltage and could fail and damage internal components! When using these tubes, move the 8 ohm speaker to the 4 ohm SPEAKER OUTPUT jack. This will reduce strain on the tubes and produce the best sonic response."

Back