More MKIV A questions.....R2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Rey

Reaction score
Hello....wouldn't normally start another MKIV A thread since I've already started one.....but it's so dead here, I figured it wouldn't matter.

Is it just me, or does the R2 on early MKIV A's seem sweeter sounding & easier over all to get a great sound out of?

I remember this with my very first MKIV over 20yrs ago.

I had 2 other MKIV's (B models) between 2001 and 2008. I had a much harder time getting a decent sound out of those R2's. Those always had a tendency to be flubby. I couldn't use much gain, and had to dial out almost all the R1-R2 bass, and use the slider EQ, which I never cared for because it sucked too much sound out for my ears. Didn't matter what tubes I used anywhere in the amp. I still prefer all 6L6, full power, pentode. I love the punch!!

Never cared for (and still don't) Tweed, Triode, and just the outer tubes. It just took too much punch out of the amp for me. I see lots of people putting EL34 in the outer sockets, but they just don't do it for me.

I love my Wizards and Friedman SB50, but EL34 in a MKIV of any iteration never did anything for me.

I'm getting some great sounds out of all the channels of this 27yr old MKIV A I just acquired!

Also, thanks for all the information. I'm getting some great info when people finally reply.

I put the BASS on 4 for the Rhy 1 and Rhy 2 on my Mark IV A. The Lead channel usually 2 or 3.

I have played on a A and B....but never side by side.

I always liked all three channels.

Back