New MK IIC++ owner, need advice!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got my hands on a long head 1985 Mark IIC++ DRG SimulClass (serial 141xx). It was serviced by Mike B a couple of years back. I've had a Dual Rectifier for a while now but I've always wanted a IIC+ or IIC++ for reasons known to everyone, and this is my first IIC++. So I'm fairly new to the IIC+ family, though I've done a lot of research on the boogie board about different types of IIC+, Edward's notes, etc.

Any advice of any kind is appreciated e.g. when to send it back again for service? given several tube selections, what would you recommend? Recommended settings for holy grail tone? really anything would be helpful.

Cheers :)

Congrats on the new amp! If Mike B. changed the caps when it was serviced it should be good for a long time. My favorite preamp tubes are Chinese Military Beijing 12ax7’s. In my 100 watt c+’s I use STR-415’s. In my Simul’s I use a quad of Mesa STR-425’s or STR-447’s in the outer sockets and STR-415’s in the inner sockets. My Mark llc Coliseum is at Mesa now for service and the c+ upgrade. I’m going to put STR-415’s in it when I get it back.

xdg999 said:
Congrats on the new amp! If Mike B. changed the caps when it was serviced it should be good for a long time. My favorite preamp tubes are Chinese Military Beijing 12ax7’s. In my 100 watt c+’s I use STR-415’s. In my Simul’s I use a quad of Mesa STR-425’s or STR-447’s in the outer sockets and STR-415’s in the inner sockets. My Mark llc Coliseum is at Mesa now for service and the c+ upgrade. I’m going to put STR-415’s in it when I get it back.

Thanks a bunch! In the repair notes it has an item "CAP, ELEC, 47UF, 100V, AX" - I think it's the caps right?, and a bunch of resistants were also replaced. Thanks for the tubes info as well.

You'll want to know that Mesa has a stock of STR-415 power tubes. They're pricey but for a IIC+ and THAT tone, they're probably worth it, at least if you're going to be recording and distributing the recordings.

Be aware, though...they're about 250 bucks a pair.

I'm sure Mesa's supply of them is limited.

"CAP, ELEC, 47UF, 100V, AX"

Means - Capacitor. Electrolytic. 47uF. 100V. Axial (the bias caps)

The filter caps will be 220uF 300V and 30uF 500V

If not a picture would be great of the internals and can check easily if caps were replaced.

Settings wise standard are:

Volume 1 6-8, Treble 8, Bass 0-2, Middle 5, Master 2-3, Lead Gain 5-7, Lead Master as required to balance between the lead and rhythm channels. Stick a V in the EQ.

As it's a ++ you could probably turn down Volume 1 and Lead Gain but use those as a starting point and tweak from there.

Oh and Pull Treble Shift and Lead Bright as well ;)

I've been digging running Volume 1 a bit lower and lead drive higher lately. Vol 1- 5 pulled, T- 7 pulled, B- 0-2, M- 4-7, Master 5-6 pulled, Lead Drive 10, Lead Master 2-5 pulled. I live in the middle of nowhere ao I can open it up and it is something special when you can get the master up in the 4-7 range. The amp fills out well there.
As for tubes I have 415/Sylvanias in my 60 watt and currently 415/416/Sylvanias in my simul. But I usually run all 415s in it.
Pres I currently have all Tungsram in them both, but that changes all the time. Tungsram are really nice in the amp, but all Mullards (Blackburn F91,F92,I61 or I63, not new ones) is probably my favorite, especially with longplates in V1 and V5. Amperex are nice, close to Mullards but different, and RCA, GE, RFT all have their merits. But honestly any tube setup you use in a C+ is still gonna rock.

jrb32 said:
"CAP, ELEC, 47UF, 100V, AX"

Means - Capacitor. Electrolytic. 47uF. 100V. Axial (the bias caps)

The filter caps will be 220uF 300V and 30uF 500V

If not a picture would be great of the internals and can check easily if caps were replaced.

Settings wise standard are:

Volume 1 6-8, Treble 8, Bass 0-2, Middle 5, Master 2-3, Lead Gain 5-7, Lead Master as required to balance between the lead and rhythm channels. Stick a V in the EQ.

As it's a ++ you could probably turn down Volume 1 and Lead Gain but use those as a starting point and tweak from there.

Oh and Pull Treble Shift and Lead Bright as well ;)

You are da man!!!

JCB1980 said:
I've been digging running Volume 1 a bit lower and lead drive higher lately. Vol 1- 5 pulled, T- 7 pulled, B- 0-2, M- 4-7, Master 5-6 pulled, Lead Drive 10, Lead Master 2-5 pulled. I live in the middle of nowhere ao I can open it up and it is something special when you can get the master up in the 4-7 range. The amp fills out well there.
As for tubes I have 415/Sylvanias in my 60 watt and currently 415/416/Sylvanias in my simul. But I usually run all 415s in it.
Pres I currently have all Tungsram in them both, but that changes all the time. Tungsram are really nice in the amp, but all Mullards (Blackburn F91,F92,I61 or I63, not new ones) is probably my favorite, especially with longplates in V1 and V5. Amperex are nice, close to Mullards but different, and RCA, GE, RFT all have their merits. But honestly any tube setup you use in a C+ is still gonna rock.

That was actually my follow up question. How big of a difference are we really talking about from tube to tube? Is it really noticeable?

The difference is noticable, but it is still the same amp no matter what. Some tubes are a little clearer, others a little more grind, but it is all within a sound that is IIC+. I like tubes and I like rolling them but it is an expensive hobby if they aren't your thing. On stage no one is gonna notice

The bigger issue as far as power tubes go is that 105PT will eat up most common tubes due to the high voltage. Many people go with the STR-415s because they are a heavy duty tube that can stand up to the extra power.

The C++ definitely has a different vibe than the C+. Try putting your Lead Drive in the 4.5 - 5.5 range to start and then use the Volume 1 on 7.5 for more clarity or up to 9-9.5 for thicker, more saturated sound.

Check out this 6L6 comparo I did in my IIC++.

https://youtu.be/j6JtsvSnRgI

Nice thing about the Mark IIs, there's really no bad settings. Dial up what sounds good to you- that day- and it will change. Hell, last week I was playing with the treble & bass at 0 and the mids at 6 & it was crushing. On my ++ there are many times where I'm playing metal for a while before I realize that I'm not even in the lead channel!

Latest posts

Back