DIY Rack mounted my MKV:25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkMcQ

Reaction score
Made this using a 4u rack shelf flipped upside down, and some 3mm thick aluminium plate. Total cost, approx £40-ish.
Saved me probably around £130 from my original idea to get the 35w rack kit and drill holes for the 25 chassis.

EGiyTe2.jpg

Shelf drilled and chassis mounted
1LCgycP.jpg

xqqRnLV.jpg

Aluminium cut
ALY3Gx2.jpg

Sanded and filed, then drilled and tapped to take the facia from the headshell.
trOfEs8.jpg

Painted
4RbJ1kb.jpg

Done
m48x2Gj.jpg

Nice job, I've got a spare Mark III I need to rackmount, where did you get the shelf unit? I've not been able to find much in the way of affordable ones.

lions said:
Nice job, I've got a spare Mark III I need to rackmount, where did you get the shelf unit? I've not been able to find much in the way of affordable ones.

This is the one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4u-19-Rack-Cradle-with-Clamping-Bars-360mm-Deep/163448028059?hash=item260e42fb9b:g:uHcAAOSwujJb07qo:rk:108:pf:0

It has a small lip at the front edge for strength, so you'll either need to cut a slot out of it as wide as the chassis, or make up 4 small spacers that the mounting bolts go through to bring the chassis down a bit. I did the latter using some offcuts of perspex I had lying around and that did the job perfectly.

If you're Uk based, I used these guys for the aluminium plate. They made up a custom cut order based on my sizes, which only cost about £7, and then all I had to do was cut out the section for the front of the chassis to go through and drill my holes.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/sgs132?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

Sorry to bump something a little older but kudos on this. I just picked up a used Mark 5:25 and am looking to do something rather similar. I am just as interested in your signal path, though. I see you're using the Marshall 20/20 there. I have the Mesa 20:20 and am looking to do a stereo setup - it's the whole thing I got the Mark for. If I was staying mono my Express 5:25 Plus is totally pleasing. I was under the mistaken assumption that the reverb came in before the FX return. I figured out I was wrong. I tried using the cab clone to feed my FX instead of the send but that was really not working great. Finally I just got a Polara verb pedal and moved on. But I'm not getting complete tone satisfaction going out the FX loop and bringing my stereo return back to the 20:20. What's your signal path?

I've replaced the G-Major 2 with a Boss DD500 but the signal path is basically the same. Effects out goes to the DD500, and then one output from that goes back to the amp return, and the other output goes to the poweramp. If I'm not using a specific delay effect, I use a patch that has a short 7ms delay hard panned left and right so that it gives a thicker sound for my 'dry' signal.

Latest posts

Back