Mark V front panel text fading

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eevil

Reaction score
Hello.

Couple of months ago in my endless amp swapping quest I landed on an used Mark V head (2009) which was not perfectly mint in cosmetics, but knowing this still bought it.
Later on I was googling around and found out that there’s been other mkV amps with similar text fading symptoms from faceplate.
Is this some sort of defect in small number of amps or just part of normal vintagey-ing process? (If it’s defect then these amps are going to be highly collectible like pre-500 rectos and Mark IIC ;D)

Following link has close-up shot of the panel:https://www.dropbox.com/s/d07meznzaagoyuv/Photo 29-10-2018, 19.05.18.jpg?dl=0

That looks to me more like having been scratched off?
Thanks for posting it.
Wayne

Mines the same, sure I remember this being mentioned before and it was a manufacturing defect that was sorted early on. Warranty covered it at the time. You reminded me of the old miss-print Lp's from the 80's, love me a rare one 8)

Wayno said:
Mines the same, sure I remember this being mentioned before and it was a manufacturing defect that was sorted early on. Warranty covered it at the time. You reminded me of the old miss-print Lp's from the 80's, love me a rare one 8)

Okay :) I think the warranty is not valid anymore...

Just because something is old or it has a defect doesn't mean it's a collectible. If something is old and has a defect nobody may want it.

What do you call a musician without a girlfriend?................. Homeless........ And the Homeless aint got no money to buy food, cloths...and not that amp with a defect... Buy a new face for that amp and play your guitar.

Really...I'm sorry... Someone with the thought of a rags to riches possibility from a poorly painted amp face....You were killin me.

I have some old equipment...and yea a some of the pieces I have are going for double what I paid a few pieces triple but here is the catch.....First If you sell it you won't have it anymore.... Second If you sell it you won't have it anymore... Shhh....You don't have an amp anymore. Do you hear that silence...That is the sound of.... You don't have an amp anymore...

OldTelecasterMan said:
Just because something is old or it has a defect doesn't mean it's a collectible. If something is old and has a defect nobody may want it.

What do you call a musician without a girlfriend?................. Homeless........ And the Homeless aint got no money to buy food, cloths...and not that amp with a defect... Buy a new face for that amp and play your guitar.

Really...I'm sorry... Someone with the thought of a rags to riches possibility from a poorly painted amp face....You were killin me.

I have some old equipment...and yea a some of the pieces I have are going for double what I paid a few pieces triple but here is the catch.....First If you sell it you won't have it anymore.... Second If you sell it you won't have it anymore... Shhh....You don't have an amp anymore. Do you hear that silence...That is the sound of.... You don't have an amp anymore...

First post last statement was partly sarcastic :) but...

I started thinking about the face plate and thought that maybe some local metal shop (laser/cnc) could make replacement cheaper than ordering one straight from Mesa (overseas is a PITA)... and maybe also in different material & engraved texts :) well... let’s see

Lessons learned. Always buy never sell.

1957 ES125T Gibson.... 1980 Tobacco burst American Stratocaster... 1979 Fender Delux ... 1997 Mesa DC-5 head and 4X12 slant (metal grill) Mesa Cab... 1980 Ibanez Tube screamer pedal...

All equipment I used to own. My list of regrets.

OldTelecasterMan said:
Lessons learned. Always buy never sell.

1957 ES125T Gibson.... 1980 Tobacco burst American Stratocaster... 1979 Fender Delux ... 1997 Mesa DC-5 head and 4X12 slant (metal grill) Mesa Cab... 1980 Ibanez Tube screamer pedal...

All equipment I used to own. My list of regrets.

Yep.. my regret list is still a tad smaller.

- studio preamp
- Ibanez jpm p3
- Mark III bluestripe SGRX
- triaxis
- 1x12 wide body closedback

Some of these may still come back at some point... not the JPM though - too much money nowadays but maybe some other RG with similar specs :)

For those of us with a warm spot for the tube driven monsters there may be hope. With all these amp emulators coming out the prices of the old tube amps may drop..... LOL....yea..right. :lol:

Latest posts

Back