Can the Mark V 35 do chime?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinskin57

Reaction score
I love the chimey, edge of breakup sounds that an AC30 can produce but I’m put off by too many other things with this amp. I’m wondering if the 5-35 can do those gorgeous chimey/jangly sounds of the Vox. Seems like all the videos are focused on super-clean or heavily distorted tones. FWIW I’m a single coil guy. Thanks to anyone who can chime in, pun intended.

I *assume* the 25 and 35 behave very much alike, except for the power section.
If I understand what you're after, my V 25 CH1 crunch mode is the closest to chime potential on that amp, I think.
I like the semi-clean sounds in that mode better than most other MESA amps I've had.
I wouldn't put it in the same category as Vox or Matchless, but there are good sounds there.
Of course, CH1 clean has plenty of top end available, esp. with presence up, if that's what you're looking for.

To my ear, the 35 has a more raw, uncompressed tone than the 25. Much as the JP2C sounds more aggressive than the Mark V.

I think the 35 could do chime very well. The extra headroom really livens it up.

Latest posts

Back