Switching From Tremoverb To Mark V 25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeballz85

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback. I recently purchased a Tremoverb. It’s been a grail amp on my list for a while. However it’s freakin loud, I mean even with my Two Notes Torpedo Captor w/ a 20db cut it’s still too loud for home playing. I have my own house but the wife and baby aren’t enjoying this so much. I really been looking into the Mark V 25. It’s 25 Watts with a 10 watt option and it seems much more practical for the home player even though it’s still loud. I’m assuming the mark v with my attenuator would be much more user friendly for my needs? Let me know your thoughts. In all honesty the only way I could see keeping the Tremoverb is if I get a different attenuator with a bigger Db cut, maybe Fryette Power Station 2?

Joeballz85 said:
Looking for some feedback. I recently purchased a Tremoverb. It’s been a grail amp on my list for a while. However it’s freakin loud, I mean even with my Two Notes Torpedo Captor w/ a 20db cut it’s still too loud for home playing. I have my own house but the wife and baby aren’t enjoying this so much. I really been looking into the Mark V 25. It’s 25 Watts with a 10 watt option and it seems much more practical for the home player even though it’s still loud. I’m assuming the mark v with my attenuator would be much more user friendly for my needs? Let me know your thoughts. In all honesty the only way I could see keeping the Tremoverb is if I get a different attenuator with a bigger Db cut, maybe Fryette Power Station 2?
As you have discovered, a 100W professional tube amp is not a bedroom amp.

Even the 10W modes are loud.

Sure, you can throw on attenuators, but it will change the fundamental tone of the amp.

I own a Roadster (main gigging amp), and a MKV, both really need volume to sound their best, even at 10W. At home I use an Avid ElevenRack through studio monitors and find it much more enjoyable for low volume practice vs. a choked down pro touring amp.

Dom

I have about twenty amps here 5 - 120 watts. Including a Tremoverb. All of them are too loud for home use without attention or setting the volume on the amp below where it opens up.

In general I prefer the sound of big amps regardless of volume. Just my personal preference.

Even the 5 watt Fender Champ is too loud by the time it opens up.

Your not going to hear a huge difference in volume between a 25 watt and 100 watt amp. What you get with the bigger amps is more headroom. Not a lot more volume.

What ones sound better at lower volumes is more about the amp model more than the watt measure.

You really need to try the amp to see if it works for you at the volume you want. I would not worry about the watt rate.

I have played on most of the Rectifier and Mark amps. In general it is easier to get a good sound at lower volumes with the Mark amps. But all of them are too loud for typical home use.

The other obvious thing with using low volume no matter how you do it is speakers don't sound that great till they hit a certain volume. It's usually pretty loud. But I get a better sound at low volume with a 4x12 than a 1x12. It just sounds fuller.

Volume is measured in dB's....Not watts or speaker count.

I use a THD Hot Plate. The Fryette Power Station sounds better when trying to achieve very low volumes.

When trying to get good sound at low volume I need to set up the amp different to get the best result. Attention or not....more bass and a little more high on the amp is needed.

It’s been a long and costly road trying to achieve good tones at lower volumes. I’ve never really had luck with any tube amps. I’m starting to feel switching over to modeling is the right choice at this point. It’s just the learning curve that scares me. The Fractal AX8, Line 6 Helix, and Kemper have interested me for a while but I feel like it might be hard to dial these in. I have no expierence with this kind of units. But ideally this is the direction I might be better heading in. So maybe it’s time to put in the time and figure it out.

Back