So, what style(s) of music you play?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mainly just a metal guy here.

But love to experiment with different styles while recording.

screamingdaisy said:
Me personally, I like to play a bit of everything, from ZZTop to Slayer to Garth Brooks.

But when doing something my way, I'm a cross between punk (older), sludge, and thrash.

Jazz and fusion.

Hate metal, punk and especially (c)rap! In general, things I percieve as "obnoxious" without a cause other than to make money.

I like classical, but don't play it.

I like jazzier and classical based rock, like Yes, ELP, Allman Brothers, Santana, PFM, Focus.

What's with the anti-grunge noise?

Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots (from L.A. ...I know but they were the real deal), Mudhoney, Screaming Trees. These were some of my favorite bands in college. I still love 'em. (Good times, good times...)

C'mon...ya gotta give it up for the 90s Seattle scene. When the top of the heap was Poison?... Gawd, something had to change. Musically, I think that's where we are right now. There's a huge void. Waiting for the next BIG thing.

Maybe it's kewl to give 'em the finger...I guess that's youth...gotta give the finger to something, but (and you can take this to the bank) in another 10 years it'll be kewl again like 80s Hair Rock is now. Too old for kewl...too young for retro. What's a grungester to do?

Yet I digress...

I like to play anything Grunge, I attempt Dire Straits (Knopfler is awesome), Basically anything with an Alt sound. Anything from the previously mentioned to Sugar, Pixies, Dig, Folk Implosion, Soul Coughing, Foo Fighters, old Pretenders, Devo, etc.. While still trying to find my own sound.

(By the way, I'm new here... "Howdy Y'all")

Cheers,
Gunhedd

Welcome Gunhedd, yeh I'm trying to learn some Dire Straights stuff (BTW check out http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=491 about what I had to say about his concert - in short, I loved it :) ) (I even went out and baught a capo last week), it appears that I can't sit down and learn stuff off unoficial tabs (I'm sadly unable to read notes, keep wanting to learn but just can't find the spare time to, because as you probably know it's hard to stay away from just playing stuff). Anyway, I've already tried buying Money for Nothing song book but they were out of it on multiple occasions :? . I currently only have Metallica i.e. Black Album, Master of Puppets and And Justice for All. So I am mainly learning that stuff. But i'm currently planning on buying Megadeth's Rust in Peace and actually went out to buy it today but they didn't have it :? (and they claim to have the biggest selection of songbooks in Melbourne :shock:) , I would order it but the sale would have ended by the time that it came in, and I didn't have enough money to buy Hendrix stuff, which I have also been getting into recently. But I've also not been able to keep myself away from learning other stuff for which I haven't got the official stuff for like: Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 (love that solo), attempting to play some malsmteen (crying seems to be the slowest of his songs, so I've been trying that) and heaps of other stuff like Sabbath, Zepps, Guns N' Roses etc... my biggest problem is learning a song from start to finish i usually learn the solos and just leave the songs at that, and if the solo is too fast then i just try to play in time at least. I've only managed to learn 4 or 5 full songs. Well I reckon thats enough :p , I can go on sometimes, sorry bout that...

JazzRules said:
Hate metal, punk and especially (c)rap! In general, things I percieve as "obnoxious" without a cause other than to make money.
thats really generalizing, sure there are lots of metal acts that are out to make money but there all the ones all over MTV (which i dont even class them as metal anyway). but you cant say bands like metallica started because they were money hungry.
they were broke even through there first three albums but kept on going because they had a passion. if they were after money they would of quit and gotten jobs.

as for (c)rap i cant really stand up for it, but im sure there not all just after $$$$. some people just love different styles of music

Erik said:
I play a little of everything, but the band I'm currently in is a mix of funk metal and old school metal.

OMG u'r such a n00b. go sit in the corner and be ashamed of yourself. :evil: :x

I was just talking about this very question. I play classic rock, some modern rock, country, and blues. We also do some originals.

My Gear

Mesa F-50
Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor
Taylor 314CE
And A Reverend Club King is on order

Also have a Fender BJ, and a Standard Strat

Sorry, but don't nuke Seattle!!! I have to admit that I do like some Alice In Chains stuff! Please don't put me back in the corner!!! LOL!

I play mostly skate punk like Pennywise and Bad religion, also some pop punk like The Offspring and Greenday.

Some other music I really like and like to play is Metallica and rock like the darkness, AC/DC, Led zeppelin.

Just about anything but ska. I have played a little bit of everything and find myself constantly evolving on all fronts except for the whole ska thing. I am not much into that feel at all. Maybe because there is so much upstroking involved. I was never fond of the sound of that genre of music. Reggae was ok but sorry ska was just awful. Or maybe it was just the brass that was annoying... Could have been the whole melange of style. I am not much for Rap Rock either. To me it is just hard to listen to. Oh and let's not forget the obvious... Disco Sucks!!!!!!

i mainly play hardcore/post-hardcore/metalcore kinda stuff. bands like botch (who'd have guessed?), norma jean, the bled, thursday, at the drive-in, glassjaw etc..

my username should give you a clue
but im starting to learn jazz

This what i posted over a year ago in aug 2005, wow now my taste has changed.
I dont really like metallica much anymore ( to bad im stuck with this user name) :x only a couple of months after i posted this my teacher showed me some Racer X. :shock: :shock:

Now im absoloutly addicted to anything to do with Paul Gilbert, over that year a i practiced my *** off and learnt scarified.

My second favourite band is now queen, just great music.

just thought it was wierd looking back at my post... continue :p

Latest posts

Back