Thinking of sending my 2 channel Recto to mesa... Thoughts

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VladB

Reaction score
I have a 2 channel Mesa Dual Recto that I'm thinking of sending to Mesa for maintenance and modding to pre-500 specs. Does anyone have any experience?

I don't know if they do such conversions. I somehow doubt it.

The thread on this board tells you pretty much everything you need to know about reverting your 2-channel amp to rev C specs. It's not something you should try yourself if you have no prior amp modding experience - but it's no rocket science either (if you do have).

However, the circuit mods only get you about 50% there. You can get the timbre but the tighter and more focused feel of the "pre 500 models" has more to do with the different transformer than with the circuit board differences, IMHO.

I know that Mesa can offer a revision change to the earlier 2 channel revision G amps. I would just contact them and explain what you are looking for. As far as the output transformer being a huge part of the factor for that pre500 tone.. that seems to be more of a rumor than anything.

endofall said:
As far as the output transformer being a huge part of the factor for that pre500 tone.. that seems to be more of a rumor than anything.

No rumor. Actually, the popular misconception seems to be that the different transformer plays no part.

But when you look at them, the circuit changes from C -> D -> E -> F are gradual and, in fact, relatively minor. They can be attempted by anyone who knows his way around amp circuits. But to get all the way there, you would also need an equivalent transformer. Read the topic on pre 500 mods for more information.

Speaking from personal experience and as a current owner of a C Rec and a G Rec, I would say that the biggest difference between a 'Mark III' tranny Dual and a later model is in the note onset. The Mark III transformer cuts the low end, making your attack much more percussive. The gain structure is likewise tighter and more focused. The Rev C feels like it has an OD pedal in front, always on, and that is largely due to the different transformer. It something you notice immediately as a player, since it changes the amp feel quite a bit, but you can also hear it.

The difference is most marked between two same revision amps, like two Rev F's, one with the Mark III transformer and the other with the later tranny. They are rather two different feeling and sounding amps, even though their fundamental timbre is pretty much the same.

LesPaul70 said:
endofall said:
As far as the output transformer being a huge part of the factor for that pre500 tone.. that seems to be more of a rumor than anything.

No rumor. Actually, the popular misconception seems to be that the different transformer plays no part.

But when you look at them, the circuit changes from C -> D -> E -> F are gradual and, in fact, relatively minor. They can be attempted by anyone who knows his way around amp circuits. But to get all the way there, you would also need an equivalent transformer. Read the topic on pre 500 mods for more information.

Speaking from personal experience and as a current owner of a C Rec and a G Rec, I would say that the biggest difference between a 'Mark III' tranny Dual and a later model is in the note onset. The Mark III transformer cuts the low end, making your attack much more percussive. The gain structure is likewise tighter and more focused. The Rev C feels like it has an OD pedal in front, always on, and that is largely due to the different transformer. It something you notice immediately as a player, since it changes the amp feel quite a bit, but you can also hear it.

The difference is most marked between two same revision amps, like two Rev F's, one with the Mark III transformer and the other with the later tranny. They are rather two different feeling and sounding amps, even though their fundamental timbre is pretty much the same.

There is no question that the transformer plays a part in the tone/feel of the earlier revisions but I believe their total impact to that sound has been exaggerated some. I think you are hitting the nail on the head though by saying their timbre would be the same/similar but the feel would be different between the two, that seems to make sense. I picked up a early 2 channel revision G for $300 that needed work done to it. Turned out several of the LDR's had to be replaced so I decided I would send it to Mesa to be repaired and decided to have this revision change done while it was at the Mesa factory. I was fortunate enough to get in contact with Mike B and spoke to him about the revision change to my amp before I sent it, one of the things he spoke about was that they believe the Mark III transformers did not play as much into tone of the earlier revisions as what has been hyped. Regardless I can say this, after getting my amp back it is a monster. I have never owned a Revision C-F before and cannot honestly do a direct comparison, but I have had several different rectifiers through out the years and this one is by far the best one I have owned for tight high gain. It is very punchy and seems incredibly aggressive in comparison to other that I have owned!

Back