Weird Mark IIC+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixstringpsycho

Reaction score
So I found an amp for sale in my local area. The amp has visual clues of being a C+ and also passes the loop test. The strange thing is that it does not seem to have a serial number. The owner claims to have called Mesa and they seem to believe it was a test amp and are unsure as to how it left the factory with no serial number. Have we every heard of anything like this happening?

I am not considering a purchase since there doesn't seem to be a serial number but I am curious on thoughts here. Could this be some sort of counterfeit?

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/d/80s-vintage-mesa-boogie-1x12/6364947501.html

When I talked to this guy a while back he said the original owner's dad worked at the factory or something like that? I don't think these things are worth enough to go through all the effort of faking. If you were going to fake why not go whole hog and do DRG for another $1k more?

I'm actually considering that same amp but, I feel hesitant as well.

What transformer is that? Is it a 2C+ and why does it have a Blue LED? <--- Stuff I'd like to know

Alright, I am remembering a little more about this amp now. I think it was originally listed in Santa Rosa, CA and was being sold as a Mark III. It clearly had a IIC face plate and no serial. I chose to pass at that point, and it was local and only $1,600.

Code:
Mesa Boogie Mark III w/ Anvil Case, Pedals are EQ Reverb/ Lead - Rhyth - $1600 (santa rosa) hide this posting
image 1 of 4

condition: good 
make / manufacturer: Mesa Boogie 
model name / number: Mark III 
size / dimensions: 24 x 48 
Mesa Boogie Mark III 

Includes Anvil Case

Includes 3 pedals: EQ Reverb/ Lead - Rhythm/Rhythm2
When I asked why it was being sold as a Mark III even though it looks like a Mark IIC the seller said:
For this amp the middle control, is actually a pull pot.
It feels like this was some kind of custom thing, or a frankenstein kind of amp. The seller didn't have a ton of details, or at least I didn't get them out of him.

Photos from the original eBay and Craigslist postings: https://imgur.com/a/xmrAu

Looks and sounds like it could be the same one, eh?

That is very interesting S-fresh. I am pretty certain you are everywhere. You seem to know a little about everything....or a lot! Thank you for sharing.

I offered him my V and he seemed interested at first and then declined. I was very sad. I would have loved to have had that.

Could be a prototype?It has the power tube sockets mounted directly to the chassis and not soldered into the PCB like a mark IIC(non coli)but it has the mark II style preamp board but can also see that it has at least 2 of the 30uf caps on the preamp board.The mark III also had the 3 30uf caps on the PCB board unlike the II's which it had them on a separate board for the power supply.
I think this could be a mark III prototype of some sort.Would definitely like to see some gut shots.

Wow S-Fresh, that definitely seems like it could be the same one. It's interesting, I've never run across an animal like this one. I definitely feel like it could be some sort of prototype that wasn't meant to leave the factory.

Hi I think this is the same amp I got on ebay last year. I took a picture of the internals if anyone is interested. I'm not familiar with these amps so I don't know what it is.

Hi I think this is the same amp I got on ebay last year. I took a picture of the internals if anyone is interested. I'm not familiar with these amps so I don't know what it is.

Yes please! Pictures of the internals would be great.

Thanks,

Jon

jrb32 said:

Yes please! Pictures of the internals would be great.

Thanks,

Jon

Oooo it's got a Mark III board. Could be a very early Mark III prototype with a IIC+ faceplate that didn't have Rhythm 2 stamped in?

Does it have a working push/pull on the Middle pot?

It's not the one listed earlier on this forum but is another III prototype with no serial, and is definitely not a fake. What's more interesting is that this means there are at LEAST 2 Mark III prototypes that left the factory with no serial numbers! So probably plenty more. Very interesting bit of history! Maybe someone at the factory took some home after they weren't being developed anymore?

Living (and buying a good amount of amps) in Northern California I can say there are all kinds of weird Boogies floating around the Bay Area. Early prototypes, no serials, employee amps, strange customs, etc. Also I hate to say it, but a lot of people who were early Boogie customers/employees are starting to die. I've bought a lot of amps from people's next of kin so the history is often lost or unclear.

Thanks for the info guys! The middle push/pull pot works, but it doesn't go to Rhythm 2. It's seems to be a mid boost of some sort.

It's seems to be a mid boost of some sort.

Interesting! The R2 channel was developed from an original ++ mod which added in a switchable capacitor on the V2A cathode which does what you describe. However, the 'R2' channel in the early black stripe does something similar and the R2 channel developed over time with massive changes between the stripe versions.

So depending on which R2 your used to, it's either a stock black stripe R2 or it has a switchable ++ boost. Who knows! Either way it probably sounds killer!

Back