Export Simulclass No-Stripe - worth getting?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candletears7

Reaction score
Some of you may have seen various posts of mine on forums regarding where I'm at with a Mesa Mark.

I used to own a MKIII Blue Stripe from '88. Simulclass, X101 Export Transformer. It was an outstanding amp, with none of the stiffness or 2-dimensionality I've read the MKIII's have.

I've been putting money away for a IIC+ Export/Simul, but it is a hell of a lot of cash, particularly here in Australia.

I also have the option to buy a very early No-Stripe combo (I'd need to put it into a headshell perhaps).
The No-Stripe is within the first 500 or so after IIC+ production ceased based on the serial number. It's got the hand-engraved "Pull Rhythm 2" above the Middle Control. It's an X101 Export transformer, Simulclass just like my old beloved Blue Stripe was.

Q1) Is this No-Stripe basically the closest I'll get to a 3-Channel IIC+, in terms of preamp or poweramp section, or will I have to do the C30 and C27 mods to get it to IIC+/Red Stripe specs (which isn't a problem as I've worked on a quite a few amps.

Q2) Are these very early No-Stripes as esteemed as a IIC+, or not really?

Many thanks for any information.

There's a LOT more mods than C27 and C30 between a III and a IIC+ and luckily a few of us here have looked into what these all are, so they're not that hard to do once you've figured it all out. Check the threads here and read up and go for the mods if you want. The III black stripe with an X101 or 105 can basically be made into a IIC+ by most accounts. They'll never be identical but you can get them pretty close.

Where's this for sale?

Nice score..!!

Time for some juicy pics..!

Of course, I know you'll "hate" it and need to throw it towards Canberra for a new house... LOL LOL..

db :lol: :lol:

Haha, currently it's in Lismore but on the way.
I'm getting a custom headshell made, will meet with the builder when the amp arrives.

Back