Similar speaker to EV 12?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippingrudy

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone makes a "clone" of this speaker (EV12) which is similar in sound and power handling? I'm looking to load my Thiele cab with one.

Thank you,

the celestion century neo has a similar sound but its only rated at 80 watts :)

Why do you need a clone when you can have the real thing.
They are all over E-Bay and EV has the EV12L Black Label 300 Watt.
It sound exactly like the 200 Watt, but tighter. That could be because it's new as well.

http://www.evm12lblacklabel.com/

I ask for a "clone" because someone on this board might have information about another speaker with similar characteristics that may be better in some way. Perhaps an improvement on the original design - lighter/better sounding /cheaper etc etc...

That OK with you boss? :D

Ahh, Cheaper.

Well, I am sorry, but your reading a post from a guy who has five EV-12L's and the Black Label 12LB.

I apologize for not being impartial.

The only "Clone" that I know is the Mesa MS-12 made for Mesa by Eminience to replace the EV-12L. It's a 150 watt design and is a seriously
good speaker. The only problem is, Mesa never really replace the 12L with the MS-12 so they are a bit harder to come by. They pop up on E-Bay every once in a while. They have the Knight on a horse sticker on the back.

Lastly, if you find a 12L, they came in 200, 300 and 400 Watt designs.
See if you can dig up four of the 400 Watters to build a 1600 Watt 4X12. :D

If you want to put a clone in a Thiele cabinet, you will have to check to make sure the speaker has approximately the same Thiele parameters (Vas, free resonance frequency etc.). Even if the speaker sounds identical in an open back cabinet, it won't sound the same in a ported cabinet unless the Thiele parameters are pretty much the same.

Also check out the Eminence Delta Pro 12A. I haven't used it personally, but it is described as sounding similar to the EVM and has a 400 watt RMS power rating.

http://usspeaker.com/DELTAPRO12-1.htm

The Eminence Delta Pro 12A is very good. I replaced the EVM12L in my theile 1x12 with this after replacing the C90 in another Theile cab. I now have two matched eminence DP12A cabs. This speaker has slightly more low end and is smoother than the 12L. Much less expensive than the re-issue 12L and its indestructable (but heavy).

The 12A is very close to the EV. It has a 52HZ-4.5kHZ respones. The low end comes from the 52HZ and the smoother top end comes from the 4.5kHz. The 12L is pretty wide open at 80HZ-7kHZ so it has a broader spectrum, but 52HZ is like the frequency Elephants communicate with.
I am sure that speaker has a big bottom end.

I just bought the Delta 12A - It will arrive tomorrow. Not sure if I should put it in the actual Mark III combo amp or in the Thiele cabinet.

I'd be smart to put it in the Thiele because the combo is already pretty heavy but I would not always play with the Thiele live.

Maybe I'll try the combo first. If anyone has suggestions for one reason or another please chime in.

Thanks

Just my 2 cents worth. My friend wanted to buy a theile cab from me. I had one with the EVM-12L and one with the Delta Pro 12A. We used a Les Paul through his Mark IIC+ 60/100 amp and switched between them. I did not notice much change in the bass response, but the highs were another story. The EV was brighter and seemed to be slightly more efficient (SPL) with the same amp settings. The Eminence Delta Pro 12A might be just the ticket for someone who needs a high power 12" speaker that thinks the EV is too harsh.

The EV12L has prominent highs and lows, with 'relaxed' mids, so it sounds scooped, and records like hell. I don't like them live, Zakk sounds much better with V30's than with the EV's and Joe B. sounds like he's beating a dead horse to get some mids to cut.

My solution was to put the EV's across the bottom and Delta Pro's across the top. The DP's fill out the mids while the EV's cut through with the distinct high and low end. The Delta Pro's just don't go high enough for my taste. Some people call it a 'relaxed' high end. I call it a frequency cut-off. The two speakers together are a brutal combo, but I now prefer the Weber CV124F for full range, clean to high-gain punchy lead tone.

I have a pair of EV12L's and Delta Pro 12A's. I really like both speakers and if I had a 1/2 back cab, I would load the slightly darker Delta Pros up top and EV's sealed below.

I'm wondering how the DP's would sound in a straight stiletto cab with 2 Vintage 30's up top and the DP's in the bottom...

Eminence Legend EM 12

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Legend_EM12

I put EVL on the bottom and Vintage 30 on top in a 4x12 cab and it caused odd resonance in the sound. I was told the EVL has so much throw it was effecting the Vintage 30's. I ended up putting a board between the top and bottom.... Making it like two 2x12. This fixed the problem. When comparison was done with various speaker the divided cab was much tighter than identical 4x12 cabs.

Latest posts

Back