NAD Rev G - A couple of questions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Gibson

Reaction score
I just purchased a ‘94 small logo Rev G. I am initially underwhelmed with the tone, I was expecting something more like Kings-X Dogman... After a little investigation I found V2 and V5 tubes were 12AT7’s Instead Of 12AX7’s. It also has replacement Groovetube 6L6’s and I feel like the bias is off. I own a bunch of amps my favorite being a Friedman Smallbox.

Another caveat is I haven’t been able crank it up yet, I was only playing at moderate bedroom volumes into a Fender ToneMaster cab with V30’s (probably not the best cab for metal) I would not describe the amp as sounding dark and loose as Rev G's are typically described.

I have a couple questions if you guys don’t mind answering:

What are V2 and V5 preamp tubes controlling?
Typically what should the bias be for the power tubes? Mesa Specs... (I know it’s fixed bias)

Much thanks!

V2 is stages 2 and 3 for the dirt channels. V5 is the phase inverter. Before you order new 6L6s, change those 12ax7s, because the issues with power and gain will be improved.

The bias should be in the neighborhood of -52V.

Thank you for the reply, you were totally correct! The Amp sounds much better with the correct tubes in V2 & V5. It really sounds great so im not worried about the power tubes. I’m trying to figure out the loop now..... :lol:

Edit: I just started reading your Dual Rectifier Index, great information!

Back