New tubes to Dual Rectifier Tremoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tengs

Reaction score
I've just bought a old used Dual Rectifier Tremoverb and got it very cheap.

Hopefully I got it cheap because the tubes where old, because it´s missing some gain, so I think I have to buy some new Preamp tubes.

Thought about buying 6 x Mesa SPAX 12AX7 or 6 x Mesa 12AX7.

How big is the different between the SPAX and regular 12AX7 ??? (lower noice ??)

Sins I just bought the Amp I want to try out the amp with the sound it was ment to have from the beginning.

Maybe later I will try some Tung-Sol and JJ mix, or something else...

Any input would be helpful sins I´m a new Mesa Owner :D

But yes, also thought about buying 4 x Mesa Boogie 6L6 STR440 for the Power section and 2 x Mesa Boogie 5U4GB for the Rectifier section.

You can run whatever you want in v2-v6 for preamp tubes. Just remember that the cathode follower positions don't like Russian tubes and you will want to run Chinese or Slovakian tubes there.

stephen sawall said:
I use Mesa tubes in my Mesa amps.
Which is fine, but remember Mesa doesn't make tubes. They just test them to fit their amps specs.

I've bought 6 x Mesa Boogie Tube SPAX 12AX7, just because the price difference was very low if I had chosen something cheaper.
But had to remove the tube can on the V1 because the SPAX 12AX7 couldn't fit in.

and it gave back the punch in the Amp ;-)

Although I found out that I didn't like the "Modern high gain" mode with "Silicone Diodes" that sound was to wasp like bzzz gain.

But the "Vintage high gain" with "Vacuum Tubes" was really good !

Even though I play modern death/sludge metal. (I do use my old Ibanez TS808 for some more punch)

V3 said:
stephen sawall said:
I use MESA tubes in my MESA amps.
Which is fine, but remember Mesa doesn't make tubes. They just test them to fit their amps specs.

MESA buys more tubes than anyone else in the world. They also have first pick from the only two places in the world were tubes are made. Everyone else worldwide is buying the tubes MESA did not choose. This is what Randell Smith told me in a discussion about tubes less than two years ago.
There are tubes made to certain specifications that are made only for certain venders. MESA does not always have access to these tubes.

Most important tube taste is subjective. Personal preference is going to be different for individuals.

I started collecting tubes in 1969. My collection at one point was fairly large. I had over $5000 in tubes. Currently it is getting smaller. I'm using them ...Not selling them. In the late 80's I bought a lot of tubes from MESA. I still have many that have never been used. I bought my first MESA amp in 1982. I have tried a lot of different tubes in Mesa amps. My personal preference over the last decade or so is Mesa tubes in my Mesa amps.

I would love to see some pictures of your older tubes! That must be a sweet collection.

Because I have been moving around the country recently my gear is in storage. I'm moving into a new place next week and should be getting some of my gear out soon.

Back