Now that the JP2C has been out a while...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jesse Daly said:
Actually bandit, it's irrelevant if the commands overlap or not, just set the amps to different midi channels and use a goodish quality controller to switch both or 3 or whatever.

Which actually is a good segue into why I logged into the forum tonight... Does anyone know (I could not find it in the manual) if the JP2C can power a midi footswitch by using the 7 pin port or is that a no no? I am looking into buying this:http://www.famcmusic.com/store/LF-JR

If you are using a different controller than the footswitch, you must use a different midi channel. Also the footswitch jack is only for the footswitch so I doubt you could use it for other. What I wanted to do was use one footswitch to control both JP-2C and the TC-100. Too bad that will not work. I would have to buy an aftermarket product to control both amps at the same time. I did daisy chain the TC-50 and TC-100 and that worked out great. Since the TC series has an FX loop function it would be nice to gain that with the JP-2C. They could have just added two more buttons, one for the FX and the other for the Shred mode. I wonder if the controller on the JP-2C footswitch could be modified to convert the reverb to FX loop instead. The amp sounds **** good without the reverb in use. A controller may be in order some day.

talltxguy said:
How does the amount of compression compare between a Mark V and a JP2C?

It depends on what voice you compare to on the Mark V. Actually not much of a comparisson as the two amps do not sound the same. I would have to say the Mark IV mode on the Mark V would have more compression than either of the two channels on the JP-2C. The Mark V on CH3 is a bit more sterile where as the JP-2C gain channels are very dynamic and organic in characteristics. Extreme voice on CH3 of the V gets close to the character of the JP-2C but not exaclty as it does not have the same distortion qualities. Sure when recorded, they almost sound similar but in the room with each amp the Mark V has a bit of a quicker response and higher harmonic overtones. JP-2C is not too far behind that and you can dial in more presence to compensate. Since I took liberties to modify my Mark V that gap in difference is a bit closer (not using the 12AT7 in V4 any longer but that did help improve the Mark V to some extent, just not enough for me though, may just be my Mark V lacks the mojo as I have strggled with it for many years). Mark V has a thinner tone where as the JP-2C is thick, tight and articulate and does not seem to muddy up like the Mark V.

Yeah. I think if you’re comparing apples to apples (IIC+ mode on the V to the dirt channels of the JP-2C) then the amount of compression is about the same. Channel two is a little less compressed than channel three. This is ignoring all the other differences Bandit mentioned.

I think all of these are pretty low in compression for such high gain circuits, certainly compared to Mark IV mode. But I’m coming from an EVH 5153 and a Cornford MK50, both of which I found very compressed. My old Soldanos and Bogners seemed more compressed at high gain too; but everybody hears things differently.

It’s worth pointing out that something like compression is not easy to compare sensibly, as everything has different compression characteristics; for example the Cornford cleans up beautifully and has great exciting high mids - which makes it feel uncompressed in the room, but when I recorded it, I noticed the level meters were very flat and it didn’t jump out of the speaker - which made it difficult to mix sometimes. The EVH 5150 III felt pretty darn compressed and almost antiseptic in the room, but it had a “tear your face off” quality that translates really well in a mix. The Bogner feels very, very organic and lovely under the fingers but the high mids just squish so hard it’s almost impossible to record it next to a Marshall-type amp and get convincing results.

I think, on balance, any IIC+ circuit is going to be relatively uncompressed, touch responsive and easy to mix relative to other options (it’s certainly my favourite) but others hear all the saturation and thick midrange and go “ooh it’s so gooey and compressed”. In short there’s no accounting for taste.

I think that (in a nutshell) if you like IIC+ mode on the V, you will love the JP’s channel three, and I think you’ll find its channel two clearer, crunchier and less compressed than either - discounting all other differences.

For me, the IV is warmer and rounder still, and it’s easier to get the gain I want out of the IV. The JP to me has something in the mids that the V had. Wasn’t as thrilled as a I had hoped after a few days. Don’t get me wrong, might be the best Mark amp to date, but the IV fits me.

Hmm, I am not finding the relation between the JP and the Mark V in terms of mids. Could be the presence control settings or where you have the midrange set too as that seems to have a dual function depending if less than noon or greater than noon. Actually I am finding myself pushing the 750 Hz sliders up more on the JP than with the Mark V (to me that is a sorry excuse for a mark series amp, well it may just be limited to my Mark V, should have been called the Mark Zero, yeah, I am that happy with the V, not).

Latest posts

Back