Cabinet Pairing with JP-2C

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a vert halfback with the EVs in it. They are a very sterile speaker, more hi-fi than most guitar speakers. IMO they don't sound good until you play them LOUD. I traded mine off eventually.

I tend to prefer sealed back cabs with my Marks.

P.S. I also have a really nice cream Tolex Tremoverb for sale right now on the 'bay...

Thanks for the reply, I will check that listing out. My rocket 44 is technically a mark circuit amp and it's half open with a c90, I have no problem with the sound, but I will probably be auditioning some closed back stuff, I was considering a port city cab as well (os 2x12). I also saw a 70s sunn 412L 4x12 for only $300 locally that is pretty tempting to check out. There is also a mesa dealer in town, I could drag my head down there and try out some various mesa cabs. I do play some gigs where a small footprint cab will be required, but in those places I think an open back will be required as the stages tend to be very small and I often have to setup in front of the drummer as a result. Hopefully the jp2c will sound OK with my current open back.

Also does anyone have any experience with the jp2c with the mesa ported 1x12 cab?

Jesse Daly said:
Thanks for the reply, I will check that listing out. My rocket 44 is technically a mark circuit amp and it's half open with a c90, I have no problem with the sound, but I will probably be auditioning some closed back stuff, I was considering a port city cab as well (os 2x12). I also saw a 70s sunn 412L 4x12 for only $300 locally that is pretty tempting to check out. There is also a mesa dealer in town, I could drag my head down there and try out some various mesa cabs. I do play some gigs where a small footprint cab will be required, but in those places I think an open back will be required as the stages tend to be very small and I often have to setup in front of the drummer as a result. Hopefully the jp2c will sound OK with my current open back.

Also does anyone have any experience with the jp2c with the mesa ported 1x12 cab?

Unfortunatley not. That does have the 90W MC90 in it. You may be better served with a 212 cab for a higher power rating. There is the Road King 212 that has V30 sealed and the MC90 in a partial open back form. That is a horizontal cab. I actually like the blend of MC90 and the V30.

I just picked up a ported 1x12 compact cab with an EVM in it and I really like it with the JP, it’s slightly less aggressive than the 2x12 vertical Mesa I usual run with it but sounds incredible. Nice bottom and a bit less high end than the 2x12, that may be because it’s so low to the ground too. Only got about an hour on it tonight but it’s a keeper. I’m anxious to run the Mark III and DC-3 through it as well.

I wonder if mesa would make a 1x12 ported cab in cream bronco with the cream & tan jute to match my jp2c? And I was kind of attracted to the new celestion "copper" 250w neo speaker that came out at namm, would be nice to have a high power handling grab and go that didn't have a 19lb speaker in it.

Jesse Daly said:
I wonder if mesa would make a 1x12 ported cab in cream bronco with the cream & tan jute to match my jp2c? And I was kind of attracted to the new celestion "copper" 250w neo speaker that came out at namm, would be nice to have a high power handling grab and go that didn't have a 19lb speaker in it.

I have been considering the Copper top as well. then there is the F12-X200, wonder what that sounds like as well. Need actual sound clips to decide.

Dang it, I got another Vertical 212, came in yesterday as it was waiting on my doorstep when I got home for lunch. :p

I am a believer in the Vertical 212 such that I have three of them. I am also very lazy and do not like separating amps from cabs to swap over to another amp head. Since I have two TC series amps, I needed another for the JP-2C. This time I took a different approach, I got one with the crème and black grill cloth with the crème piping. The different grill makes it look smaller but I love the different look as I am getting tired of everything being black. I also ordered a matching faceplate for the JP-2C direct from Mesa. I will post pictures when the faceplate arrives.

Currently running mine through a Bogner 212 Helios cabinet with one V30 and one Creamback. Sounds killer for sure.

I'm curious if anyone has tried a JP2C with a Bogner Uberkab - or am I crazy to think that? Uberschalls put out a lot of low end and the Uberkab is there to take that low end. Or do we think it would flub out? The key thing here being a V30 with G12T75 speakers mixed.

The other cabinet that seems interesting is the Rivera cab made for the guitarist from Skipknot. Seems like it has great low end.

Anyone experimented with either?

I enjoy having a more compact rig setup as I gig fairly regularly and the last thing I want to do is cart around my 212 or a 412.
I just got my JP-2C Limited the other day and having some previous experience with this amp, I'm grabbing the Mesa 1x12 widebody cab this week. 've run the amp through my Friedman 212 and it sounds amazing through that!
One of my local retailers has 1x12 wide body closed back with the Mesa V30 in there. I've had this cab before and it really sounds amazing spreads nicely! I plan on using it as my monitor when playing live and tilting it up to me. I run FOH via a UA OX so I don't need a loud backline behind me.

I run mine through a Marshall 1936V 2x12 and an EVH 2x12 at the same time, I love it. A lot to carry for sure, but it's worth it.

Today I Switched out my Marshall 1960a for an older oversized Recto cab. Sounds much better: fatter but still tight bottom, snarling midrange, nicer top end.

Currently running the horizontal 212 with my new head. Sounds fabulous!

Latest posts

Back