Mark v 35 & OD pedal on channel 1?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinBoogie

Reaction score
Hi there, someone told me i shouldn’t place an overdrive pedal on channel 1 of my new Mark v 35 head, now, is this because it would damage the head or just because of personal taste? i would like to add my 45 bullet by J Rockett, as i did for a test, i got some real cool vintage sounds, while using channel 2 for a more modern distortion sound, what do you guys think? thanks.

Mark v 35 head
Mesa Boogie 1x12 Cab.

That can only be for personal taste. The likelihood of damaging the amp is very low. As a general rule I would not use pedals with very high gain into a distorted amp channel - it could be too much and muddy. However, distorted amp channels benefit from overdrive pedals that have a bass attentuation (e.g. tube screamers, RATs, treble boosters) as they filter out or lessen the frequencies which cause mud.

On a clean(er) channel you can use anything you like - light drive, medium drive, high gain distortion whatever. There is nothing wrong with the use that you suggested.

Cheers Stephan

Thanks dark blue, just what i though, only want it to double check with other Boogie users, and yes , basically i want to add an overdrive only to channel one at times, not channel 2, that channel rocks on its own, than again.

Back