How old were you when you started playing guitar?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was 8 when I started. I took lessons for about a year and a half then quit. I picked it back up when I was 15 and have played ever since (I'm 53 now).

My mother showed me some chords on her old Stella back when I was 8 or maybe 9. I'm 58 now, so I've pretty much had a six string with me my whole life!! :mrgreen:

You guys are jut good xD
I was not able to learn when I was young. So I decided to learn by myself last year. I can play some of choruses now xD

15 yrs. Parents moved to a new town right before I started high school. After a year of not having any friends close by to hang out, I decided to play guitar. And almost 30 years later, I'm still playing.

...Now if I could figure out the friend situation... :lol:

Started when I was 12. Began gigging when I was 16 back in the 80s. Hung it up for 15 years when I got married and had a bunch of kids. Picked it up again in my 40s and began rocking again.

Same old story, all over again...

My uncle brought me a handmade classical guitar from South America in 1969. Was taking piano lessons at the time, didn't get to take guitar lesson too. 1972, age 14 I broke my upper arm severely while trying to imitate Evel Knieval. (did a jump off a patio and struck a large pine tree...) They couldn't set the break so they put a real heavy cast on my left arm from my shoulder to my wrist. They wanted the weight of the cast to align the break. Had to sleep sitting up for 8 weeks. Soooo bored...got my Dad to go to the music store and buy a Mel Bay chord book. Learned to play sitting on the sofa with that old guitar. It actually sounds a lot like Willie's!

Billy Pro said:
I played guitar when I was 10. My father taught me :))
You very good, I bought a guitar and throw it away because it hurt my arm when i struck it.

Started when I was 8, back in 1974. You can do the math. :lol:

I sort of started playing almost 4 decades ago, still have not figured it out yet. That would put me in at 12 (I think). It sounds better if I tell everyone I have only played the guitar for less than 5 years. That is when I picked it up again anyway.

I was a 19-year-old college freshman who needed something to help pass the time in the afternoons. The summer before I turned 20 I purchased my first guitar. I'm 46 and still play to help pass the time.

14, I saw my friend play it at school. I ask him to help me out and then I ask my Mom to buy me a guitar.

I started when I was 8 and played for about a year and a half. I picked it back up when I was 15.

i was a bit late to the party - started when i was 24. Saw the Who in concert, and seeing Pete Townsend hitting those big full, orchestral chords with a vengeance in the Rock Opera, Tommy, on his (at that time) SG through a mountain of HiWatts, jumping in the air, and doing those windmills like a perpetual motion machine - well, I was hooked. A couple days later I was the proud owner of a new SG Standard...

Back