The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:41 pm 
Bottle Rocket

yup that's them

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:11 pm 
Dual Recto

A single EVM12L black label is great, a pair is awesome. Double that and you get explosive. I could not be in the same room with the EV loaded 412 cab without some hearing loss with the amp wide open. Even the Roadster is a ear drum killer and that amp is not as loud as the JP. The 212 will be loud enough for just about anything. I used to run an EV in an extension cab with the Mark V combo loaded with an EV that I mounted with the traditional method, on the front baffle, had to mod the grill to fit. That on its own shook the house beyond belief. No doubt the EV loaded 212 will surpass your expectations.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:01 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Some people report that running the top of the halfback open with a nice alnico like the celestion alnico cream or fane axa, with the evm12L in the ported bottom still... I may try that or perhaps a jensen blackbird or the wsg version which is supposedly less dark. (did I read you had used a blackbird?)

Then I could source an empty ported 1x12 either mesa or perhaps Port City and slap the other evm12L in it...

I can think of at least half a dozen places that i might book gigs at that are really going to require a 1x12 format...

my rocket 44 might cut it, but I am thinking even if I am just playing clean the noise floor on the jp2c sounds like it might be quite preferable in more intimate spots...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:36 pm 
Dual Recto

the black bird takes a while to break in. It does not like distortion out of the box. How boring that was to break it in. I got better and better and then when I bought a Celestion Crème 90W alnico, tried it and then wanted to compare the blackbird and pocked one of the screws though the webbing of the cone. I put that in my Carvin V3MC and has been there since then. That amp gets used every other week end. I would never have noticed the tear was there.

the Celestion Crème 90W alnico sounded great, right out of the box. Clean tone was not bad as that had more of a vintage tone, but open up the amp, that sounded better than the EV. Another similar speaker is the Celestion Red back. it is 150W, just a tad bit less bright but really sings when pushed hard. This has more midrange and would complement the EV speaker. The WGS Black hawk HP100 did not survive the first tryout with the Mark IV combo. It suffered the same fate with that amp as when I ran the JP-2C into the Celestion Crème at 100W. It did not take long before I realized I did not flip the switch. 100W blew out a 90W speaker, yes it did, the JP-2C peaks at 145W RMS. I popped an MC90 doing the same thing. Not sure how accurate the meter is on the attenuator but I would assume it is as the Roadster and RA100 never rose above 100W.

Fane Studio 12L is also an insane speaker, I was able to really push that with the Mark IV at master volume levels to the point the amp just becomes more compressed. That speaker really projects (close up it is not as loud as it is farther back, that sort of purplexed me) Also has that british tone but plenty of bottom end. May be a hard fit in the cab as it has a extensions on the frame for mounting bolts other than around the ring. Never had a chance to try the JP-2C though it. I sold the Mark iv combo with the speaker mounted in it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:18 am 
Bottle Rocket

Well my JP2c showed up at the UPS pickup today and after I got my daughter to sleep I went ahead an hooked it up.

HOLY CHRIST!!!!!! I am just playing at bedroom levels in my apartment at night on my homemade 4x8+12 cab and I am next to tears with how damn good this baby sounds!!!

The reverb is freaking glorious! And the number of different tones available just with the foot-switch and pickup selection is mind boggling.

BEST AMP EVER

I can't wait to take it to rehearsal and open it up!

I am truly shocked how good it manages to sound at low volume, it goes against all conventional wisdom, big bottle high wattage amps have no right sounding this good at night on the 3rd floor. I am running it at about half the volume I would watch a movie at in my living room and I just simply can't believe it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:43 am 
Dual Recto

That is the reason why this post has turned into a blog. Even what was covered on these pages barely scratches the surface of the JP-2C. This amp is definitely Mesa's diamond as there are many facets to this amp. Have fun exploring. Since you are running a 412 cab, you may want to try the shred mode at low level playing to compensate for the bass response if it gets boomy. This may be more necessary for the Mesa 212 cabs as those are very deep sounding. The amp will get brighter at higher volume settings on each channel.

Best thing to try out, Midrange control will affect the distortion levels and depending on what guitar woods you have it will enhance mahogany when set past noon. The pulls on the gain and presence are great to try out too. I typically run the clean channel without the GEQ as it seems to be more organic. If you boost the midrange on the clean channel it will begin to clip which is something I learned later on. Another surprise is how well the amp responds to OD pedals. I have used the grid slammer and the flux drive with the JP and that was rewarding. FX loop send levels is more on par with the early versions of the Mark series so it is doubtful the amp will have issues with effects in the loop.

I find it surreal how big and powerful the sound is from such a small amplifier. Tone and sound quality is why I have the JP-2C. It is a modern old school Mesa that has surpassed my expectations.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 am 
Dual Recto

The faceplate I ordered from Mesa came the other day. I finally got around to taking a picture but at the same time it is sort of a New Guitar Day thing at the same time. Fender Dave Murray Stratocaster (center guitar). The other two are my Carvin Bolt C's. I am really loving the color scheme change with the new face plate. Crème and black jute with crème piping as it ties in the head to the cabinet (third Vertical 212). I was getting tired of looking at all black stuff. Also when using a flash the black jute almost becomes transparent. I think the OS Recto 412 cab I have with the grey and black jute grill to match the RA100 head got me in the mood for something a bit different. The new faceplate from Mesa was not overly expensive. It was a bit stiff to get into the pocket but I did manage to massage it into place before securing it with the screws. Warms up the appearance.

Oh yeah, one last thing: I am loving the new strat though the JP-2C. Actuall all three are killer though the amp. Note bridge pickup on all three guitars are humbuckers. Two having the SD hot rails and the other the JB Jr. I did order some stacked single coil pickups to install into the moss green Carvin to get more of a vintage tone from the neck and middle position. The cool rails and vintage rails are okay but want a bit more David Gilmore sound. Each guitar will have a different complement of pickups so I can broaden my spectrum of sound.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10