Who is Still Gigging Their Vintage Mark Series Amps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How often do you guys generally need to service your vintage boogies? I've never owned a vintage one, but think I'm going to take the plunge. My vintage 1965 Fender Deluxe needs a visit to the tech every 2 years or so. Usually it starts making frying egg noises and another part needs to be replaced.

I'm gearing up to start gigging early November with a new band, and I'll be using the new-ish Coli MkIIB if everything goes according to plan. Failing that, it'll be back to the IIC+.

The Mk combos I've been running for the last twelve months have all been completely reliable, and have been carted around a lot - though they haven't been thrown around to be fair, and are flight cased too. Who throws a IIC+ around anyway?

The only problems I have had during this period have been with rack effects units (Yamaha SPX1000 and Lexicon MPX-1).

Show four and five with my Mark IIB this weekend. It's been tough to get a good live sound. I'm going to use a MXR six band to try and see if I can get a little better cutting tone with the lead channel especially. This thing plus my SG is very muddy compared to a couple of Peavey's I have with EL84s, but the clean sound isn't as good on those - too bright.

I'll definitely let you guys know if anything blows up, but everything looks good so far. Seems to have been built right.

Here's what I'm working with!

v4mpSYp.jpg

kdorsey said:
The hot summer gigs were taking a toll on my MkIII and decided to park it for the regular gigs. For special events, it's still the beast of choice. 8)

Was it acting up in any way, or overheating?

Two outside gigs this weekend. The MKIIA will be shaking a few leaves off the trees

wow, I'm actually jealous, guess i'll have to join a band 8)

I'm paying off a repair for a 1991 MB Mark 1 Re-issue, then i still have to get some preamp tubes, havent done that since 2010

i tripped on the power cord and lucky the beast didn't land on me!

Thank you, my playing that night was atrocious, open mics can do that. I didn’t plan on playing that amp but my JP2C was unavailable that night. I used the lead channel - volume 1 @ 7, treble 7, bass 2, mid 5, master 1.5, lead master 8, lead drive 4, presence 7. Most knobs pulled except the bass shift.

I played a gig with my 60 watt Mark II C+ with graphic EQ. It sounded awesome:) I have to get it recapped at some point.

I use my MKIII Blue Stripe combo all th etime.

vQPXUZa.jpg

I have a couple of different extension cabs that I run with it, a 2x12 with 65w Creambacks for outdoors and a 1x12 with Eminence Red White and Blues for indoors

Two gigs coming up this weekend!

Mark C++ is back to #1 in the rotation. The Mark IV showed me some new tricks that I incorporated into the C++ sound. The Mark IV needs to have certain knobs on 10, like the drive on the Lead ch. & the volume, treble on the RHY2 ch. The lead masters should be run high @ 7-8. The JP2C is very simple and handy with great tone and unmatched versatility.
It's hard to pick an amp to use and leave the others home. Luxury First World Problem at it's best.

Hope people have gigged their Vintage Mark amps since 2018…..

Played last night. Used by Express 5:25+ and brought the MKIIA as backup. Gave the other guitar player a ride, didn’t have room to add his New Vintage so offered to let him use the MKIIA. The amp recently returned from Mike B after some TLC.

Wow! This guy is good and always sounds great, but the MKIIA came to life and brought it up a few levels. He used only the clean channel with his Strat and pedalboard. Dialed down the presence to his taste. I may need to play it next gig.

Believe it or not, the bar owner told us to turn up the guitars after the first set 😀 and we obliged. Dual Boogie powered.

I played my MKIIA last weekend. A killer amp at 60W. The Master volume is usable since Mike B rebuilt the pot. Still have to be careful or it will get really loud.

My Boogie MKIIA 60-100 Rev Eq doesn't gig anymore for years now... I know that it's a shame, but one of these days, he will be back ! Because he is still the best and unrivalled amp for dialing the Carlos Santana tone... 8)

Below, comfortably installed at home :

19100510321425019416443826.jpg

On stage and reharsals, I use my Serial Tone Killer (DIY build) which is easier to set up and more versatile than my MKIIA...

qfrMJb-P1100118.jpg

9erMJb-P1100129.jpg

2erMJb-P1100134.jpg

Z0n8Jb-P1090889.jpg

... But unfortunately nearly as heavy as him :oops: :

A+!

Latest posts

Back