NAD. Mini Rec. Help.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimrod

Reaction score
Okay so to start off, my plan was to sell my Mark V 25 after I bought a Mini Rec. I liked how it sounded in demos and sound clips, so that’s what I based my purchase on since I couldn’t try it where I live. I bought one and it came in today.

Clean channel is awesome, love it more than my V 25’s clean. Then there’s the gain. I really wanted to like it, got my hopes up and everything. But it’s got this really fizzy character to it that I can’t dial out. I’ve spent a while with it today and playing it has caused my ears to hurt. Is this just it’s tone and I don’t like it? Or is something wrong?
I’ve also noticed a buzzing sound coming thru at all times. Not from my pedals, guitars, or cables.

Another thing. Even when I turn the master volume all the way down, my signal still comes through the speaker.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to realm of dreaded recto fizz :p

I don’t have mini recto but the Roadster. Still couple of ideas for you to test and some things you did not mention in your post.

Modern mode buzzes when playing without enough volume. After a certain spot in volume the fizz is balanced with enough bottom end to have great but somewhat brutal sound.

Vintage mode is also hi-mid heavy and can feel pretty sticky to fingers. I have vintage set up like this when playing lead: G14:00 T09:00 M13:30 B12:30 P10:00 (24h clock...) and the tone opens up pretty well on band levels but at home feels murky when playing alone. At least the Roadster does this :)

Take these wit grain of salt as I don’t have experience in Mini Recto but...

Thanks for the response.

You are right. I just got the chance to crank it up. The more I turned the volume the less fizzy it became. The vintage mode was better at low volumes but couldn’t find a tone I liked there.
I believe I screwed up because my mini Mark sounds awesome at low volumes especially compared to the mini rec. Glad I haven’t got rid of the Mark yet. I assumed since they were both 25 watt MESA amps it wouldn’t make that much of a difference.

Oh well. The more you know I guess.

They’re completely different beasts.. I had mark III prior to Roadster and they really feel different...

Aand 25W is huge dose of electric current... rule of thumb: if the power is doubled the system can produce a tone octave lower —> the highs and middles can still have similar loudness even with smaller wattage :)

Is it still buzzing? If so on which channels/modes?
I'm kinda surprised you don't like it, just wondering if there any issues which are holding it back, maybe a bad pre amp valve?

Nick79 said:
Is it still buzzing? If so on which channels/modes?
I'm kinda surprised you don't like it, just wondering if there any issues which are holding it back, maybe a bad pre amp valve?

It was just on ch. 2 lower volumes when it would buzz. I think something was interfering. Because I moved rooms and it stopped.
I like it, but just when it’s cranked. Unlike my Mark where it sounds good on any volume.

Ah ok yeah the buzzing sounds about right until the volume is up enough. It's a shame you aren't getting on with it, i have to admit i don't really play mine at home much because with a wife and young kids i'm restricted on when i can make some proper noise. It's a great little amp when it's wound up though.

Back