Studio Preamp - Recto Poweramp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtrax

Reaction score
I recently scored a SP in excellent working order, with normal cosmetic wear and tear for a piece this old (30 years give or take?). I've been running it through my Triple Rectifier power section for the time being. Sounds fantastic! I've come to the conclusion, for my taste, Red/Modern power configuration with Diode/Bold works best. I'm not really well versed with Mesa's rack gear in the past, and the only thing close in their current lineup is the 2:90. I'm not really sold on the the whole simul-class thing though. It does have "Modern" mode, which I'm guessing is NFB removed. I'll search for a schematic to compare it to my TR.

I'm in no real hurry, or need, but thinking ahead I'd like to have a complete rack setup.

So, any Mesa rackmount poweramp, past or present, that can come close to a Triple Recto power section?

Man, I totally forgot about those. I realize they're made for touring musicians, but it would have been nice to be able to run only one side and not have a load connected to both amps (e.g., independant power switches per side). Thanks for the heads up!

Sure, no problem :)

Hey, I just found out that Mesa had actually released a 4U rack stereo power amp wich was the power sections of 2x triple rectifiers.
It has 200w /ch :shock: :shock:
Apart from its rarity, you should play it alone in the North Pole in order to saturate the power tubes property :mrgreen:
The model is called: Coliseum 300.

Here it is:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/support/out-of-production/coliseum-300.html

Tony Iommi has said the Coliseum (probably Mark Coliseum head though) was too loud for small arenas they play.

dtrax said:
Man, I totally forgot about those. I realize they're made for touring musicians, but it would have been nice to be able to run only one side and not have a load connected to both amps (e.g., independant power switches per side). Thanks for the heads up!

On many of the Mesa power amps you can run just one side by leaving the other side (Don't quote me on this) in standby with the presence and volume rolled down. The real instructions and if it applies to the 2:100 should be online, maybe even in a Mesa FAQ, but also if you contact Mesa or read the manual it should clarify.

Actually, pulled up the manual here and on the top of Page 6 it says the following:
NOTE: If you opt to use only one channel of the 2:100 with speakers connected to that
channel’s output only, you must turn the unused channel’s level control to zero! Otherwise the channel will be operating without
a load, and damage to the tubes and/or the transformer will result.

Back