Should I swap my Mini Mark for a Mini Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimrod

Reaction score
Hi. I’m new here so go easy on me, but have spent a lot of time reading on this site and I figured this would be the best place to get answers/advice.

First off, I own a Mark V 25 that I like, but I get frustrated with it. My problem is that I feel like I spend too much time trying to dial in a tone that is more than “ok”. I know Mesas can be tricky to dial in, but I’ve read the mini rec is more “plug and play” and easier to dial in than the V 25. Is this true?
Another thing is that I’m after something with a more open and raw tone as opposed to the smoother tones I’m getting with my mini Mark. I am not able to go play one, but I like what I’ve heard of the mini rec in demos. Also, how similar are the cleans between these two amps? It’s hard for me to tell in said demos.

Thanks for any help and sorry if I am making a redundant post.

Sounds like the right call for you. I've had both, kept the MR. It is definitely more plug and play. I like the clean channel better than the MV25. It's very nice.

The MV25 can be dialed for MANY tones, but can't do recto. The MR gets a great classic rock tone, plus can do the real heavy tones. It's a great amp.

I've not played a MK5 but i do have a Mini Rec, which i gig regularly.
I agree with Elvis, it sounds like it might be the amp for you. It's easy to dial in (start with everything at noon and adjust to taste), i'm not sure how close the cleans are but little Rectifier has great cleans. Drive tones can be pretty much whatever you want them to be, and yes i would say it sounds more open and raw than MK style overdrive/distortion.

Okay cool. It sounds like what I’m after. It being almost half the price of what I gave for my V25 is also helping the decision. Thanks you guys.

Nimrod said:
Okay cool. It sounds like what I’m after. It being almost half the price of what I gave for my V25 is also helping the decision. Thanks you guys.

Seems you may have already made your mind up but I'll chime in anyway. I have both the Mark 5:25 and the Mini Recto, and I feel they are both essential; each does some things the other doesn't that I can't imagine living without now that I have had them both.

Yup, the MR is easier to dial in and harder to screw up by turning a knob. It definitely is more raw and unruly in the red channel, and just oozes heavy. In modern mode it punches almost like a big-bottle amp through a 4x12. And it has a really great clean platform in the green channel, especially for using pedals (the cleans on their own are probably more Vox-like than Fenderish so if you prefer that and need the sound its in there). It's easy to transport, built like a nuclear bunker and much louder than you think it will be. Basically, a quintessential straight-ahead hard rock amp in a tiny box. Not much to dislike.

But...the Mark 5:25 is vastly more versatile. It has Blackface-esque cleans that just destroy anything the MR can do in the green channel, along with the Crunch mode that is more than capable of owning some Marshall territory and rocking out. But for me, it's the Mark/Red channel that has the magic. Agreed, it's hard as hell to dial in and get used to, but it's so rewarding when you do. It's just so much more nuanced than the Recto, more controllable with the guitar volume and has a harmonic richness that can't be matched. I also think it plays "easier" as in the notes just seem to get pulled out of your fingers with it.

You describe the MV as smoother and I would tend to agree. The Recto is more agressive and rough edged.
It's why I need both now. Most of the time I need the versatility, sonic complexity and refinement of the Mark, but when I need to knock heads and make children cry it's MR all the way. If you can possibly swing both you won't regret it, if not it's a really tough call. For me, if I could have only one it would be the Mark 5:25, but it wins by only the slightest margin.

I appreciate your chiming in. My favorite cleans are actually Vox so this is good news to me. From what I hear in clips is the MR has a little bit more character to the cleans. I can’t seem to get cleans on the V 25 that don’t sound “sterile” I guess would be the word? They sound good but almost too good imho. They are pretty Fender-ish, and I’ve never played a fender that blew me away.
The crunch channel is my favorite thing about the V 25, but I still just haven’t bonded with it much after almost a year. I guess this is what happens when you buy off of online demos, but I have no stores near me so that’s really my only option. Thanks again!

I swapped my Mark V for Road King and I couldn’t be happier. Haven’t really played those mini amps, but usually people are into Mark or Rectifier series. I am truly into Rectos. I’ve had Triaxis preamp as well as Recto Preamp. Even had both at the same time and switched them by Rocktron Patchmate Loop8. Mark and Rectifier are very different kind of beasts, I felt the tone changed too much with two preamps, so I sold Recto Pre (my first Mesa). Then switched Triaxis/2:50 to a Mark V head. Only to find myself unsatisfied. So there’s no right or wrong answer here, you’ll just have to listen yourself with that decision.

I don't have either of the amps you're after but I do have the Roadster.

My suggestion, if at all possible for you, would be to buy the MR before selling off the Mark. Test side by side and then make a decision. It's very difficult to make a judgment call when hearing only one amp and trying to 'remember' what the other amp sounded like. You'll have the benefit of having both at the same time and this also allows you make a video for future reference. Once you make a decision, offload the amp you're not interested in. It'll cost you the same in the end.

My 2 cents... the recto has a grinding distortion versus the smoothness of the Mark. Don't expect violin-type lead from the recto if that's what you like for soloing. The recto needs a good push with a drive pedal if you want 'Santana-sustain-for-days' so to speak. I've written about this in other posts.... I just don't have time to find the links for you at the moment.

Good luck with your tone quest.

-B

Hi

I don't want to hijack the thread Nimrod (and I've read it and apologies if you think I do) I have a MR head (after selling a Rectoverb combo) I'm using with a Marshall 2 x 12 cab and
Blacklynx mentioned "using a drive pedal" for a smoother lead sounds.... and that's what I'm going to try - since I do get a quite good Marshally type sound with a FlyRig5 in the loop)
so any thoughts about a good drive pedal for that type of sound - not so much Santana but definitely smoother but whit dynamics.

Cheers/Michael

Latest posts

Back