Mesa Signature Amp for James Hetfield. theory analysis

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stephen sawall said:
thediavlo said:
For sure, the question is what would that be. something that they had never done before could be so many things, but also so little. They have some of the best and most advanced Amplifiers on the market. Are we forgetting the release of the Rossette too? so one more left?
Rossette is not one of the two. They are for electric guitar.

Well fingers crossed man. Maybe we can get something interesting from Mesa that we didn't expect.

If we ever get a JH Mesa I will sell my JP2C and Blue stripe to cover those costs. Not joking thats how much I would want that thing.

IronSean said:
I think the only downfall to a Hetfield signature amp is that Hetfield himself would be the person least interested in it. Or at least the least interested in the version we all want.

The JP-2C came about in no small part because John insisted on them doing a remake, because he loved that particular amp so much and wanted more. And wanted newer equivalents to use on tour without risking his classic ones. John also still mostly favors the sound he's used his whole career.

James, on the other hand, went down totally different tonal rabbit holes, different amps and sounds, and his modern tone is nothing like it was a decade ago, let alone 30 years ago when he was making THE CLASSIC SOUND that the fans would want from a signature amp.

So John really wanted an amp, that looked and sounded just like the amp fans of him would want, and pushed for it. James seems less interested, and if he did want an amp he would probably want something that isn't at all what the fans want, and instead it becomes Mesa bugging him to make one on behalf of the fans that he might not even want to use much.

That's my Debbie-Downer two cents worth of rambling on why my hopes aren't high :(

One thing I wonder about is... with the JP2C already out, what's the point in doing a JH2C?

Or if we were to look at it a different way... outside of of some gimmicky add-on, what would a JH2C do that the JP2C can't?

I don't think it would be 2C as such. I'd say something completely different because we all know he blends the recto and 2C sounds with a Diezel. So it would have to be something completely new. But saying that, as if he's gonna drag one around the world when there using Fractals. So probably unlikely but how cool would it be. Unless it was marketed as some sort of tribute amp/nod to the past.

Markedman said:
Hetfield doesn’t even use an amp anymore so why would mesa put one out with his name on it?

He doesnt use an amp LIVE to make things more consistent and always get the same sound, but he always uses amps in the studio, and of course to model his sound. Plus if they did do the JH-2C route, there would almost definitely be feature to set it apart, like the volume 1 setting being higher, built in parametric EQ, or even the chorus built into the amp. So he does use an amp but just not while gigging.

Metallica has jumped ship live. Gone to the dark side they have. Did anyone notice tone wise when live playing? Maybe tube amps the future are not.

How can Mesa make a signature amp for a guy who doesn’t use it live for a couple years now? It’s not like Metallica tried digital for a while and went back to tubes. They are perfectly happy with the Fractal live.

Seriously.. talk about losing street cred if Mesa were to make a signature amp for a guy who is 100% Fractal when live (with a Mark IR though!). If I were Mesa, I’d put my resources elsewhere. meh

All my opinion, of course. I’m a little skittish on the digital future, I suppose. A luddite when it comes to amps. Me likes the tubes! (And I ain’t doing to no double blind listening test to the Fractal, either!!) :)

mace said:
Seriously.. talk about losing street cred if Mesa were to make a signature amp for a guy who is 100% Fractal when live (with a Mark IR though!).

It's no worse than known Fractal users releasing signature overdrives and tube amps once they realize there's no money in sharing presets...

Back