I may need an intervention !?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryswanson

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new amp. I already have the latest dual recto and a Mark V with the AT7 in V4. But I thinking about a JP-2c or a Diezel VH4 or umm... a axe fx II xl+. It's keeping me up at night and when the missus gives me the green light to buy an amp it won't happen for another five years so I need to choose wisely. Another thing that worries me is if Mesa drops something new like a JH-2C after I purchase. I would probably cry if that happened. :shock:

Please help me make the right choice forum wizards.

There is a lot to know that your not telling. What is it that your trying to fill that a mark v and a recto doesnt do? And what sound are you after? What style do you play most?

Without knowing any of the above, i would remove the jp2c from the wishlist as hou already have an awesome mark base amp and adding the jp2c would be redundant imo. If i was in your situation, the only other Mesa amp i would consider is a tripple crown, even though its not on the list. If not i would defenitly go for another company, like a vintage marshal for that so desirable marshall vntage sound. Of something unique like a fender 1959 bassman. Or a Matchless.dc 30 for some serious tone love. Heck what i would really do maybe is get a friedman be100 or a maybe something that would be more manageable at lower volume so 30 watt or less. So many option. I would like to be in your situation.

Try to think about something else. Is it tone, character, distortion or features that is driving you nuts? Want something lighter or heavier, combo or half stack.... The Mark V is quite versatile for one amp and it can do more than you may realize vs the JP-2C or other amps. Also the same would apply to the Roadster which also has many flavors to tone to tap into and I would assume the Dual Recto has some similar traits to it. I would focus on exploring the possibilities of both amps you have now. Even when you get used to it, there may be some other setting that someone has posted in the forums (reference to the "settings thread") I have never tried to follow one musician or group and want to emulate them. However if you are learning a song, having the tone to match would be of interest.

You do have the option to do nothing..... if this is something you are finding difficult to subside in your mind..... you definitely have a form of CGBS. You may try to focus that energy or disturbance into something different. Try learning a new song or even better try composing a song. You have all the gear you need to make that happen. DR and Mark amp are totally different beasts to understand. Heck I am still trying to figure out the Mark V let alone the Roadster or the others. If you need to have something else, TC-50 is a great option, or you may consider the retired versions like the RA100 or Electra Dyne. Considering I have the TC and RA, would like to get the ED as well to complete that part of my collection. One DR is enough for me. Sure when the next amp comes out if it is a Mark amp I may consider it.

To be honest, I would spend more time discovering what you have, those two amps are some of the best on the planet, to satisfy that need for something new, if you multiple cabs, i would try getting a splitter and playing the V and Dual Rec together, that is something absolutely crazy and fun to witness. My suggestion for a new amp though, I would recommend you go something slightly more obscure like a randall, revv, or maybe a panama. All of those amps are phenomenal. Though if you stay in the Mesa range, I would wait just a little longer for the exact reason you said. the potential of a JH-2C. I would lose my mind for that.

Thanks for the input fellas. I might sit on the fence for a bit longer and see what I really want. I don't really need anything but it's one of those "because I can" things. I tend to use my Mark V a lot more than the DR. I can't see myself ever letting go of either of them because the V is just awesome and the DR I dragged it home from Texas to Australia then converted it to 240v myself. But I dig the fullness of the recto but prefer the smoothness of the V. I was kind of hoping the JP-2c would be both of those things I like. Unfortunately I'm about 2500 kms as the crow flies to go have a look at any Mesa in a store. So I relay a lot on this forum and YouTube videos to make a wise purchase.

Yes it is 8) Quite different from the Mark V and DR. I feel the JP sits perfectly with the Roadster (similar to the DR) and Mark V. Not exactly like driving both Mark V and Roadster (or in your case the DR) together but it is hard to beat the JP in terms of the raw power it has.

Blending the Mark V with a Dual Recto is a rewarding experience. You may even like it. I have both the Lehle P-Split and the "little Dual amp switcher". Both have the isolation transformer. P-slit does not require power but the dual amp switcher does. OI got both so I can combine three amps. Having the Dual amp switcher allows you to either run stereo effects or select one, other or both. That is something worth while trying out and it cost far less than another amp. What is cool about the P-split, put it in the loop and used the isolated output to slave another amp, or just use it on the front end. the dual amp switcher can make noise depending on environment but most of the time it is quiet. There may be other types out there but you should look for one that has a transformer isolated output on one channel to avoid the ground noise which can be tricky to remove especially when one amp is on standby. Just run a stereo effect pedal in bypass mode and you will hear what I mean. The isolated splitter or switcher eliminates the associated noise when running two amps in parallel.

Yes, I do suffer from CGBS or in my case it also relates to amps and such..... Still I have not lost any sleep over it or have had the thoughts ruling my day either. I do have something more problematic..... CCBS or in my case CTBS. Chronic Car Buying Syndrome or Chronic Truck Buying Syndrome. This started last week when servicing my FJ Cruiser, thought about what would I replace it with and decided to look into it. My passion is going off road with the truck or hitting the track in the 2004 Mustang Cobra (this one is a keeper and has low miles on it too). So my luck I looked into the Toyota TRD Pro 4Runner and now that has occupied my thoughts more than I want it too. I can relate but so far I still have my current vehicles.

bandit2013 said:
Yes, I do suffer from CGBS or in my case it also relates to amps and such..... Still I have not lost any sleep over it or have had the thoughts ruling my day either. I do have something more problematic..... CCBS or in my case CTBS. Chronic Car Buying Syndrome or Chronic Truck Buying Syndrome. This started last week when servicing my FJ Cruiser, thought about what would I replace it with and decided to look into it. My passion is going off road with the truck or hitting the track in the 2004 Mustang Cobra (this one is a keeper and has low miles on it too). So my luck I looked into the Toyota TRD Pro 4Runner and now that has occupied my thoughts more than I want it too. I can relate but so far I still have my current vehicles.

I feel that, but for me its car parts man. I have a sleeper V6 charger and its pushing 470 to the wheels right now. That is my other hobby and I am always looking for upgrades.

the Car bug does get in the way a lot. Especially when it is time for replacement or need for a change. I really do not need another vehicle but for some reason I am stuck on the thought that I do.

Latest posts

Back